SeraphisCain

Need help identifying the cause of HDMI audio dropouts.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Pi Model: 3B+

Distro/Image: Issue occurs on both RetroPie and Raspbian

Display: TCL Roku TV model 32S3800

Issue: Anywhere between 20-60 minutes after boot-up, audio will begin to drop out for 4-5 seconds at a time at set intervals (most commonly 60 seconds exactly). I'm almost positive this is a TV issue as when the audio drops, it drops not only from the Pi, but from the TV as a whole (bringing up the TV's on-screen display, which usually makes sound, is completely quiet during the drops, as is scrolling through the display). Once the drops start to happen, switching the TV input to a different HDMI source (or even just going back to the TV's main menu or turning the power off/on) and then back to the Pi fixes it temporarily, but the drops start happening again after 15-20 minutes.

However, this issue only happens with the Pi, and not with anything else attached to the TV via HDMI (PS4, XBox 360, etc). There are virtually no audio settings on my TV I can change to try to fix this (only an "Audio Mode" setting with options like Normal/Movie/Sports/etc., and I've already tried all those options), and I've tried everything I can find via Google as far as editing the config.txt (hdmi_drive, hdmi_boost, various things like that). Also tried three different HDMI cables and all three HDMI slots on the TV, to no avail. I've also tried it on a different TV (an older Vizio) and the problem doesn't happen there. However switching back to that TV permanently is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

Even if the answer to all this is ultimately "it's a TV issue and there's nothing that can be done", I'd still like to understand why it happens. Is there some fundamental difference in the way the Pi outputs audio via HDMI compared to a PS4/360/cable box/etc. that's just incompatible with my TV? And of course, if anyone has any further ideas as to what I could possibly do to fix the issue, I'd very much appreciate it!

Return to “Troubleshooting”