33masterman33

Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+ Slow ethernet

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm

I am using a raspberry pi 3 and just switched it with a 3b+ and on both my Ethernet speeds are very poor. I am using chromium with speedtest.net in raspbian and only get a max of around 60Mbps while on a normal computer plugged into the same switch reaches up to 180Mbps is there any reason for this? If there is what can I do to fix it.

DavidS

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+ Slow ethernet

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:51 am

It may not be your Ethernet as you are testing over the internet, away from your local area network. I have observed that some systems do better at data over the internet, even though they are no faster in transfer speed over the Ethernet connection.

I would suggest that you test the transfer speeds across your LAN between two systems, this would tell you the actual Ethernet Speed.

Also I think that the Raspberry Pi Ethernet controller is only 100Mb/s (someone correct me if i am wrong).

Further calling 80Mb/s slow brings up a number of other questions. Yes we all have extremely fast ethernet connections, and nearly as fast of internet connections nowadays (I can reach up to just over 1Gb/s once in a while on one system, not often). Though for most uses we really never make good use of anything over 25Mb/s, and often times that is way faster than we really need.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

HawaiianPi

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 am

RPi 3B/3B+ Ethernet is connected to USB 2.0 and shares bandwidth with the other USB ports. Activity on the USB ports can affect Ethernet performance. Also, chromium browser is kind of a pig, try speedtest-cli instead.

I just ran speedtest-cli on my recently updated 3B+ Minecraft SMP server running Raspbian Stretch Lite and got the following.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Frontier Communications (12.34.567.890)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by CenturyLink, Inc (Portland, OR) [16.91 km]: 19.523 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 91.63 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed....................................................................................................
Upload: 92.57 Mbit/s
By comparison, my 3B+ with Raspbian Stretch Desktop on 5GHz WiFi a few rooms away from the router gets this.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Frontier Communications (12.34.567.890)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by CenturyLink, Inc (Portland, OR) [16.91 km]: 20.99 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 90.51 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed....................................................................................................
Upload: 75.70 Mbit/s
We have Frontier (Verizon) FiOS 100/100 Internet service.

I will say that the Pi can vary quite a bit from day to day, and sometimes those numbers are lower.
DavidS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:51 am
Also I think that the Raspberry Pi Ethernet controller is only 100Mb/s (someone correct me if i am wrong).
Correct for the 3B. The 3B+ is actually gigabit, but like the 3B it's connected through the USB 2.0 interface, so you won't see much more than 300Mbps most of the time (and often less).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:30 am

33masterman33 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm
I am using a raspberry pi 3 and just switched it with a 3b+ and on both my Ethernet speeds are very poor. I am using chromium with speedtest.net in raspbian and only get a max of around 60Mbps while on a normal computer plugged into the same switch reaches up to 180Mbps is there any reason for this? If there is what can I do to fix it.
If you are getting about 60-70 on a Pi3B+, using gig ethernet, then that usually implies that flow control is NOT turned on on the router. Turn that on and you should get betwen 200 and 250MBits/s. Might be called pause frames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_flow_control
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

HermannSW

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Part of the problem may be to use a browser based test (on Raspberry).
I did use speedtest-cli (on PI3B+ and laptop) and was able to get 190Mbps download with PI3B+ (although laptop connected to same Gbit switch did get 386Mbps, I have a 400/20 Mbps line at home):
viewtopic.php?t=208512#p1291419
⇨https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/HermannSW/gst-template
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/fork-raspiraw
https://twitter.com/HermannSW

33masterman33

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Sorry, I should have said relatively slow.I'm using it as a VPN into my home network to access a NAS and anything else I would need to be on a VPN for and that's why I wanted my full download speed for when I am transferring data to it. I was not aware that speedtest.net had a command line version. But anyway local transfers are at full speed and the speed test in terminal was much better thanks for the suggestions. PS I know the raspberry pi is not the best choice for a VPN but it takes very little power and works for my needs.

popashack

Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+ Slow ethernet

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I was working on a project using speedtest-cli,. It was easy to connect and deploy and is a nice tool to use with popen in Python.

The command-line and browser delivered a consistent speed, so everything seemed good. When I measured the same throughput with my windows 10 PC, my pc was significantly higher. I was getting 55-70Mbit/s. My service is 150Mbit/s, and my windows PC reported about 129MBit/s on Speedtest for Windows 10.

I disabled Bluetooth and removed all USB devices to be sure I did not have the ethernet chip busy doing more than ethernet. I even used my wireless 2.4 gigahertz AP and had a little lower speed.

Wireless 2.4g Service
08/08/19,14:21,69.035,27.50,8.72
Ping: 68.802 ms
Download: 29.84 Mbit/s
Upload: 8.60 Mbit/s

Wired 50-70 Mbit/s (wireless disabled)
08/08/19,14:21,68.802,29.84,8.60
Ping: 64.956 ms
Download: 66.04 Mbit/s
Upload: 10.24 Mbit/s

Any ideas? I could buy a Pi 4 I guess.

Thanks.