Rasilon

kookye tank bot woes

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 am

I bought a kookye tank robot kit. The tutorials are rubbish. Has anyone else bought this kit?

Joel_Mckay

Re: kookye tank bot woes

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 am

In general, the robot chassis should be the easy part...

However, there is a lot to learn.... I once had a delightful argument that lasted 2 years... with a friend about how ultrasonic sensors inherently made better wind-speed indicators than obstacle sensors. However, since people see it as an easy solution, they fixate on these terrible sensors... and keep them in production.

Everyone starts with a turtle-bot design....
I often recommend people use a modified old/used roomba, as there is a lot you can do with a single cable ( http://blog.perquin.com/blog/category/roomba/ ). Note, all standard parts can be replaced... which is convenient.

Small tracked vehicles are also prone to several issues with all the linkages, and tend to be overpriced for just the drive components.
So No... I would buy a used RC car/quad as a platform before spending days of my life to build something like this kit.
;-)

Rasilon

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:08 am

I built the chassis with no problem. The tutorial for the electronics and the coding are very confusing take a look http://kookye.com/2017/08/29/robot_tank_lesson1/

Joel_Mckay

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:51 am

Yes, written in a rather contentious manner...
I would recommend contacting the authors, and suggest splitting the help page into Arduino-model specific instructions.

As students, we used standard RC ESC for platforms (cut the ESC +5v BEC lines), so didn't have these kind of proprietary documentation issues.
Also, the power of low-rpm high-torque motors makes things slower, easier to predict, and easier to control. ;-)

Best of luck,
~J~

Rasilon

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 pm

I have to abandon this project, I am left with a bunch of hardware. Can anyone recommend another project for all this stuff?

Joel_Mckay

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:14 pm

As a student, I used two of these ESC for brushed motors, and ordered a few extra given people will fry some accidentally during builds/use:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/320A-Brushed-B ... 2954220321
(They are nowhere near 320A... so just ignore that label... but will run just fine off 2S RC lipol)

I do have a 32-axis robot servo-controller Beta driver-board if you want to solder on the 40 pin plug (keep in mind air-shipping to the UK is probably pricier than your kit ). Our Pi software is not public yet, but I may get around to documenting the simple orchestration software usage over my holidays (Python testing utility, and a streaming cam server). Incidentally, we built our project because of exactly what you are experiencing right now. ;-)

Cheers,
J
Attachments
spider20_rotate_legs_to_max.jpg
Spider
spider20_rotate_legs_to_max.jpg (251.37 KiB) Viewed 461 times

Rasilon

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:05 am

I need a beginners project, I thought the tankbot was supposed to be for beginners. I will start with an introduction to robotics project.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”