Jhcii

How to make a 3B .img file work on a 3B+?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm new here and just bought the newer pi 3b+. I have a 64gig retropie .img file that was obviously read from a pi 3b and it wont boot on my 3b+ ( I just get a lightning bolt on the screen with a flashing red power led ) It will boot fine from a regular noobs install. Is there a way to get this image to boot on a 3b+? Since I don't have a 3b board I obviously can not use it to upgrade the boot on it. In the boot area I have the file bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb which from what I've read means it was done on a pi 3b. Can I just copy a bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb file over to get it to boot? I'd really not like to lose the info that's on that card. I've tried writing the info on a different cards but I'm guessing since the boot info is for the older 3b it won't work on the 3b+. Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and put in a usb drive to copy everything over to it and then setup/format/install a clean image onto the sdcard then transfer the files back over? Thanks I'm extremely new as I only got my card 3 days ago, and yes I've tried searching the forums here and on retropi with absolutely no luck.

Andyroo

Re: How to make a 3B .img file work on a 3B+?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:39 pm

No idea on why it does not hang but I would play very safe:

1) Make a new card for a clean boot on the 3B+
2) Install retropi on that
3) Copy the img onto a different card
4) Plug this card into the USB via an adapter
5) Overwrite the 3B+ card with the data you need

This way you have no risk of overwriting the data :D
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

W. H. Heydt

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:18 am

(Assuming your image is Raspbian Stretch.) Take your SD card with the existing image on it. Boot it in a Pi3B. Then run "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get upgrade". Shut down the Pi3B. Transfer the card to the Pi3B+. It should now boot.

Basically, the problem as described is that your image file pre-dates the release of the Pi3B+, so it lacks the correct boot files to run on that board. Using an older Pi to bring the card up to date will solve that.

HawaiianPi

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 am

Which version of Raspbian is it?

Copying the boot files from a newer card to an older card *might* work, assuming it's an older version of Raspbian Stretch, although I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't work (I give it about even odds). If the older image is Jessie then you'll have to start over.

Locating an older Pi you could use to update the image really is the best option (again, assuming it's Stretch). Note, it doesn't have to be a Pi 3B, any older model can be used to update Raspbian Stretch to the latest kernel and firmware (sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y).

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:18 am
Take your SD card with the existing image on it. Boot it in a Pi3B...
Jhcii wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:53 pm
I'm new here and just bought the newer pi 3b+. I have a 64gig retropie .img file that was obviously read from a pi 3b and it wont boot on my 3b+ ( I just get a lightning bolt on the screen with a flashing red power led ) It will boot fine from a regular noobs install. Is there a way to get this image to boot on a 3b+? Since I don't have a 3b board I obviously can not use it to upgrade the boot on it. In the boot area I have the file bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb which from what I've read means it was done on a pi 3b. Can I just copy a bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb file over to get it to boot? I'd really not like to lose the info that's on that card. I've tried writing the info on a different cards but I'm guessing since the boot info is for the older 3b it won't work on the 3b+. Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and put in a usb drive to copy everything over to it and then setup/format/install a clean image onto the sdcard then transfer the files back over? Thanks I'm extremely new as I only got my card 3 days ago, and yes I've tried searching the forums here and on retropi with absolutely no luck.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”