blues1961

why do I fried my raspberry pi?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:48 pm

I just fried 3 raspberry pi 3 b+ in a row and I do not understand what I do wrong. For the first 2 ones, I thought the pi fries because of a camera module I installed. However the 3rd one, I did not installed any camera. The power supply are good - all 3 of them was specific to the pi. The 5v dc pin showing 5 volt on the multimeter. The 3 volt pin at first show 3 volt pin and 0 volt after a reboot.

The power supply is plug-in a smart power bar. I was closing the pi by powering off the power bar via my smart phone. Could that be the problem? and what his wrong by doing it that way? I have a 4th ordered that will be used with Octoprint. I really need to understand what his wrong with my setup?

Do anyone understand the problem?

note: I tested the pin with a multimeter touching the pin 1 (3 volt) and a ground pin (last one) - and pin 2, 5 volt and a ground pin last one. The 3 read 0 volt and the 5 volt is OK.

Thanks,

wildfire

Re: why do I fried my raspberry pi?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Didn't you just post this5 days ago???
Scotty never said "I canae give her any more Captain, She'll blow".
B'Elanna Torres however did say "Get the cheese to the sickbay" :?:

hippy

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm

wildfire wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:21 pm
Didn't you just post this5 days ago???
The thought there was that it was damage done by faulty camera modules. This is an additional failure without a camera attached.
blues1961 wrote:
The power supply is plug-in a smart power bar. I was closing the pi by powering off the power bar via my smart phone. Could that be the problem? and what his wrong by doing it that way?
If you are just killing power that is not good for the SD Card and could corrupt that but it should not damage hardware, stop the regulator working, or fry anything.
blues1961 wrote:
Do anyone understand the problem?
Not that I am aware of. The latest update regarding failing 3B+'s seems to be -

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=226423#p1389238
mahjongg wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:56 pm
The 3V3 supply from the PI3B+ doesn't seem short circuit proof under all conditions.
The best solution would be to return the PI3B from where you bought it, and to claim guarantee.

The problem is being investigated, as the chip maker claims the 3V3 supply should be short circuit proof.

pcmanbob

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:06 pm

If you have fried a 3rd pi this time without the camera attached then you need to look for something else that's been used on all 3.

My first thought would be something connected to the gpio, followed by power supply and finally any thing else common to all 3 attempts, you might even consider just plugging the power supply directly in to a socket to bypass the smart power bar just to eliminate that as the cause.

I don't think this is directly related to the pi3B+ 3.3v problem because the first pi you fried was a pi3B and they don't suffer the spontaneous 3.3v supply failures.

There is one very remote possibility, the first 2 pi's were fried by a faulty camera add on and you have just been unlucky to have the 3rd pi fail due to the spontaneous 3.3v failure problem.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

Return to “Troubleshooting”