Ravender

My complaining about Raspberry, Python and Kivy

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:47 pm

For 3 weeks I've started to learn python and I felt in love. Two weeks ago i've made my first gui app with Tkinter. Then I saw kivy and I've decided to give itt a try. I've make app on windows, some sort of calculator and it was working really good.

I have also Raspberry 3 so I decided to put my calculator into it. It took me 3 days to find the way how to install python 3.7 and kivy on it, cuz each time something was missing, something was not working etc.. I'm a linux noob but with Raspian my app started to work.. BUT REALLY SLOW. Ten or more second where needed to change the screen :/.

I thought that mayby xserver took to many CPU power so I've decided to install Raspian Lite. It took me another one day to install, update, upgrade and other s***. So now I have python 2.7, 3.5, 3.7... WHY linux sux so much? I don't need 2.7 and 3.5. Still.. after kivy install "whereis kivy" shows nothing. "Import kivy" doesn't work..

OK. I've found KivyPie. I'm starting raspberry.. i've got yellow flash pic.. low voltage :/ and finito.. Screen freezes.

I really don't understand. I've raspberry with raspbian. I've doc with commands that I need to put to have something installed and still things are working like crazy. One big mess... nothing more :(. I like concept of raspberry -small computer but it's impossible to work this way. For ex. why python 3.7 is not implemented in repositories? Why doing exaclty the same steps I receive different result? I don't get it. I've lost couple of days to gain nothing except irritation.

best regards

ps. sry for eng. I'm not a native speaker.
Last edited by Ravender on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andyroo

Re: My complaining about Raspberry, Python and Kivy

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Welcome to IT.

The fundamental problem with Linux (and I am going to get shot at for this) is that there is no central version that works everywhere the same. This is also its strength as development is quicker and reaches places that corporates do not. A local maker space I was at last week had eight people working on a project and around 11 different solutions so far to the same problem! Have a watch of https://youtu.be/TVHcdgrqbHE to see its endemic in this industry.

The Pi is a teaching tool but the code and base is strictly defined for schools and then the fun starts when these bounds are moved away from.

Now putting that aside, how can we help you fix your problems?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Ravender

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:24 pm

I don't think that you can help me. I just wanted to cry out my irritation somewhere heh. I'm still fighting. At the moment I put again Rasbian Lite.. I've removed python 2.7 and 3.5 to see what will happen. Now I'm installing 3.7.. then kivy again.

I also read somewhere that kivy has a problem with graphic driver. So mayby my app was working slow because of "software rendering" and not "hardware rendering". One guy wrote a solution that he used pyinstaller and after that his app starts to use hardware rendering. I will try that.

I'm also downloading Windows 10 WoA to test this way. Something should work and I'm really stubborn to achieve my goal.

But still... situation where people have same hardware, same software and receive different results is ridiculous.

Andyroo

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:21 pm

This maybe the link you saw https://stackoverflow.com/questions/317 ... -with-sudo - that points to different configuration files depending on the user the program is run as.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

klricks

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:39 am

Ravender wrote:

I have also Raspberry 3 ....

OK. I've found KivyPie. I'm starting raspberry.. i've got yellow flash pic.. low voltage :/ and finito.. Screen freezes.
Do you have 3B or 3B+? The KivyPie download link http://kivypie.mitako.eu/kivy-download.html makes no mention of 3B+ so likely they have not updated their image to work on the 3B+. If you attempt to boot an old image on the 3B+ then you will get the 'lightning bolt' icon and no boot. Contact the maintainer and ask them to update their image.
Ravender wrote:

... For ex. why python 3.7 is not implemented in repositories? ....
Why do you think you need 3.7? It's experimental.
The next major release of Debian 'Buster' is not due out for many months. When it does come out it will have 3.6 (and 2.7).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 am

Ravender wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:24 pm
But still... situation where people have same hardware, same software and receive different results is ridiculous.
While true, in a trivial sort of way, even with nominally the same hardware, the software is rarely actually the same when looked at closely. For instance, you have gotten different results under the full version of Raspbian, which has Xwindows running, and Raspbian Lite, which does not. So the only place the systems are "the same" is in the kernel. The environment in which your code is being run is quite different, so different results aren't surprising at all.

bensimmo

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 am

First have you tried it with the supplied versions.
Other than optimization and bug fixes and some new features, most programs should run under 3.5.
Kivy probably installs with
sudo apt install python3-kivy

That's the safe way.

Unfortunately/Fortunately that's the Debain (and hence Raspbian way).

So not strictly a Linux fault, but a Debian problem. It's their OS.

I wouldn't remove Linux 2.7, something may need it even if Stretch had lots of it updated for Python3.

bensimmo

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:55 am

klricks wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:39 am

... For ex. why python 3.7 is not implemented in repositories? ....
Why do you think you need 3.7? It's experimental.
The next major release of Debian 'Buster' is not due out for many months. When it does come out it will have 3.6 (and 2.7).
[/quote]
3.7 is not experimental it was released some time back in June.
3.7.1 is the current official release.

Only in the Debian world is it not ;-)

hortimech

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Yes, Python 3.7 is stable as far as Python is concerned, but not from an OS point of view. If you are writing code and it will only be used by yourself, then you can install and use whatever program versions you like, but you then will not be running a supported version of your OS. It is up to you to decide what you required, something that is fully supported by your OS, or looking after most things yourself.

Ravender

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Yes. I have 3B+ and it seems that KivyPie has problem with that ;).

I've installed Lubuntu on my laptop, i've modified my python file to be compatible with python 3.5 but kivy didn't started. I've still got "Unable to find any valuable Window provider at all!" problem.

Then I've removed Lubundu and put Xubuntu. After 'sudo apt-get install python3-kivy'.. IT'S working! My kivy code is working!

So i've decided to put Raspbian Lite.. and istall Xfce, and after that kivy. But on Raspberry I'm still receiving 'Unable to find any valuable Window provider at all!'. I remember that I've solved this problem accidently 3 days ago but I don't remember how.

More or less I'm still fighting with this topic and I will inform you guys when I will find a solution.

Return to “Beginners”