murksiuke

Problems with booting (after months of no problems)

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 pm

I had this pi for more than six months with no problems, but today, when i tried to turn it on, it would not boot. The red light is continuous, the green flicks on and off and the beginning, but the screen is blank. And that was the start of my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Tried switching to an older sd card, didnt work.
Tried measuring 3V3 voltage, its fine.
Then i tried to turn it on with everything but the power supply and the sd card plugged out. That worked.
Except, when i tried to reboot it (the monitor settings were off), it didnt boot again.
And then the sd card got corrupted.
So okay, i reformatted the sd card, and decided i would simply install rasbian again.
Except now, after it got to the ''OS installed successfully'', its hung again - blank screen, the green continues to flicker on and off.
So questions:
1. How do i install raspbian without it hanging? EDIT: okay, apparently it installed raspbian correctly ( i think) though the screen is still off, and im too scared to change it.
2. Whats causing this ''hdmi and usb devices now draws too much power for it to boot", when it used to work perfectly fine before? The power supply it self is raspberry official, so i hope its not causing problems.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Problems with booting (after months of no problems)

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm

murksiuke wrote:
So okay, i reformatted the sd card, and decided i would simply install rasbian again.
Except now, after it got to the ''OS installed successfully'', its hung again - blank screen, the green continues to flicker on and off.
This suggests that you are using the "NOOBS Installer" rather than Etcher to write an image directly to a uSDHC card (no formatting required) - can you confirm this. If so what, physically, are you using to write NOOBS to the card?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

murksiuke

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm
murksiuke wrote:
This suggests that you are using the "NOOBS Installer" rather than Etcher to write an image directly to a uSDHC card (no formatting required) - can you confirm this. If so what, physically, are you using to write NOOBS to the card?
Trev.
Im sorry, im not sure i know exactly what you mean by ''physically are you using to write NOOBS", but I just followed this https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -started/2 tutorial ?

LTolledo

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 pm

murksiuke wrote: Im sorry, im not sure i know exactly what you mean by ''physically are you using to write NOOBS", but I just followed this https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -started/2 tutorial ?
I think FTrevorGowen meant was on what hardware did you format the microSD card. Is it the PC's SD/microSD slot or a USB to microSD card adaptor.
based on the link you provided, you installed the raspbian OS via an installer utility called NOOBS.

if PC's/laptop's SD/microSD slots: its been noted before that some PC SD/microSD slot does not "fully" support SDHC/SDXC cards.
if USB to microSD adaptor: make sure that the adaptor supports SDHC/SDXC cards.

once confirmed, try reformatting the microSD card and install OS via NOOBS

a better solution to installing the Raspbian OS is to download the Raspbian Stretch (Desktop or Lite) image, then flash it to the microSD card using Etcher.
no need to format the microSD, Etcher will do that for you.

just make sure that the microSD writer/adaptor supports SDHC/SDXC.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

murksiuke

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:04 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 pm
murksiuke wrote: Im sorry, im not sure i know exactly what you mean by ''physically are you using to write NOOBS", but I just followed this https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -started/2 tutorial ?
I think FTrevorGowen meant was on what hardware did you format the microSD card. Is it the PC's SD/microSD slot or a USB to microSD card adaptor.
based on the link you provided, you installed the raspbian OS via an installer utility called NOOBS.

if PC's/laptop's SD/microSD slots: its been noted before that some PC SD/microSD slot does not "fully" support SDHC/SDXC cards.
if USB to microSD adaptor: make sure that the adaptor supports SDHC/SDXC cards.

once confirmed, try reformatting the microSD card and install OS via NOOBS

a better solution to installing the Raspbian OS is to download the Raspbian Stretch (Desktop or Lite) image, then flash it to the microSD card using Etcher.
no need to format the microSD, Etcher will do that for you.

just make sure that the microSD writer/adaptor supports SDHC/SDXC.
im using a kingston microSD adaptor, but like i said in my initial post - the OS is now fully installed. Are you sure its the OS's fault rather than the hardware's?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:49 pm

murksiuke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:04 pm
im using a kingston microSD adaptor, but like i said in my initial post - the OS is now fully installed. Are you sure its the OS's fault rather than the hardware's?
No O.S. is ever "fully installed" (on a Pi - it has no on board storage). All that NOOBS does is unzip and copy the O.S. to another partition on the SD card. (Etcher overwrites the whole image & its partition structure to all of the SD card). If there is a problem with the initial writing of NOOBS (or the Etcher image - but Etcher will check for that) or the SD card has become (internally) "corrupt" or reached the end of its life then it will not boot (properly).
In your O.P. your do not say what you had been doing with your Pi - was it something that wrote to the SD card a lot? Have you read through this?:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

murksiuke

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:25 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:49 pm
In your O.P. your do not say what you had been doing with your Pi - was it something that wrote to the SD card a lot? Have you read through this?:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
Trev.
I see, i wasnt aware that an incorrectly writen os can cause probblems later on.
However, i today i tried to turn it on with a different monitor attached (well using my tv as a monitor) and it worked. No wonky display settings, no troubles when rebooting/turning on.
The older monitor is, well,older,by good ten years, but i never had any problems with it before (and it still displays my laptop just fine). However,i figure its either the monitor or the hdmi cable. And it would explain why the green light would flicker every time i turn it on, if it was booting, just not showing the display. (I dont suppose you have any idea if it could be the hdmi cable,or do i need a new monitor?)
Tommorow i will see if using the tv as the display still works without issues, and if any problems arrise, i will try reinstalling the os following your advice. Thank you!

To anwser your questions:
I have read through the sticky, but i admit to skimming through the microsd sections, which was rather stupid of me, my apologies.
The only thing that i can think of in regards to "writting to the sd a lot" - i did install opencv (the full version), but it was a month ago or so, and everything worked fine afterwards.

Return to “Troubleshooting”