informed

Distribution

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 am

Hi All,
New to this forum so forgive a potential silly question!
I have written an app for the raspbian lite OS.
I have configured it to startup on boot and for autologin.
Am I allowed to clone this build and put onto a SD Card and then sell it as my commercial product?

thanks

B.Goode

Re: Distribution

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am

informed wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 am
Hi All,
New to this forum so forgive a potential silly question!
I have written an app for the raspbian lite OS.
I have configured it to startup on boot and for autologin.
Am I allowed to clone this build and put onto a SD Card and then sell it as my commercial product?

thanks

It must have been someone else who has made 65 posts to these forums in your name over the last 3 years?

I am not a lawyer. My advice is that you should consult a lawyer, solicitor or other legal professional. You will need to be sure that you and your customers are in compliance with the licenses associated with all the components of the operating system you are modifying and redistributing.

klricks

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Most users of Linux will not pay for software, there is no need. Except for a copy of Windows 8 for a new system I built, I have not bought any software for decades. I won't even pay $0.99 for an Android app for my phone.
IMO unless your software is part an embedded system in a product then I would not expect anyone to buy it.
Maybe state what your software is / does and post the source code here so people can comment.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

informed

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi

thanks for the replie(s).

Yes, I appreciate that people would not buy an app for linux. I know I would not do so.

It is more of an interest to keep me occupied and test/improve my knowledge.

However, saying that people buy ip cameras and that will have linux as the OS. They would kiosk it so their app would run automatically.

My project, I am still thinking about but it is to do with ip cameras. I know there are plenty of free apps out there.

What I am trying to do is build up my portfolio for my own web site. If I can put everything onto a sd card or/and allow them to download an image file then I would not charge anything. If they wanted the hardware kit assembled then I would charge them for the parts.

Whilst you and I would not pay for an app some people might. Saying that I am not looking to make my fortune on this so have not the cost to consult a lawyer.

Thanks for your info. Much appreciated!

informed

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 pm

"It must have been someone else who has made 65 posts to these forums in your name over the last 3 years?"

Sorry I should have specified newbie to Raspian as I have always used Windows IoT. I know the laws regarding Windows 10 IoT but not raspbian.

Because Windows IoT does not support the onboard camera and only Usb ones I have moved over to Raspbian/linux.

Now I wished I did years ago. Far superior..

informed

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 pm

"Maybe state what your software is / does and post the source code here so people can comment."

Confused.. why would I want to release my source code for a commercial product onto a forum?

What has all this got to do with the licensing issues. If it was debian then I have been told I can do all what I asked. But I do not know about Raspbian so thought I would post on this board.

I know there are strong feelings about Open Source code and If (for instance) I post a question on StackOverflow and I find the answer myself I always post my own answer for everyone else to see.

But I am not going to disclose my entire source code here and not sure why you asked me to do so unless you thought I was stupid in that regard?

Yes, it will be part of an embedded system and a service. To be run in kiosk mode on a linux chain.

Probably need to find another forum to post on..

Imperf3kt

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 pm

As I understand it, you can redistribute Raspbian as long as you remove the commercial software beforehand.

Mathematica (if still present) and some other software I think.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am

informed wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 pm
"Maybe state what your software is / does and post the source code here so people can comment."

Confused.. why would I want to release my source code for a commercial product onto a forum?

What has all this got to do with the licensing issues. If it was debian then I have been told I can do all what I asked. But I do not know about Raspbian so thought I would post on this board.

I know there are strong feelings about Open Source code and If (for instance) I post a question on StackOverflow and I find the answer myself I always post my own answer for everyone else to see.

But I am not going to disclose my entire source code here and not sure why you asked me to do so unless you thought I was stupid in that regard?

Yes, it will be part of an embedded system and a service. To be run in kiosk mode on a linux chain.

Probably need to find another forum to post on..
Don't let the OSS zealots put you off. I'm all for this sort of thing. If you thnik someone is being overly agressive along these lines, feel free to use the report button.

WIth regard to distributing code, as long as you code does not use any GPL code then you can keep all the source to yourself. Using GPL libraries used to be a grey area, not sure what the current state is. Look up GPL2 and copy left licences. The distribution itself you will need to be able to point to the source code for everything in it (Linux itself is GPL2), if its unaltered Raspbian (i.e. you have simply added you own application code) then you can simply point to the Raspbian archive.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Raspbian”