alliep28

help a preschool teacher out!

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:50 am

I am a preschool teacher in the USA. we have the students, who are ages from 3-5 years of age use the pi computer. The programs that we usually use is gcompris. At times this program can be hard for my students.
I was wondering if anyone had any other suggests for better programs that would fit the age group that I am working with?
Also, the PI that my program is using is about 5 to 6 years old and is starting to show its age, (it works very very slow, and freezes a lot!)
is there anything that I can do about this? or is the best bet to by new PIs.

thank you so much.

B.Goode

Re: help a preschool teacher out!

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:34 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

To save other people who, like me, had no idea what this package does having to research it, here is what the publisher has to say -
GCompris is a high quality educational software suite, including a large number of activities for children aged 2 to 10.

Some of the activities are game orientated, but nonetheless still educational.

Here is the list of activity categories with some examples:

computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, touchscreen ...
reading: letters, words, reading practice, typing text ...
arithmetic: numbers, operations, table memory, enumeration, double entry table ...
science: the canal lock, the water cycle, renewable energy ...
geography: countries, regions, culture ...
games: chess, memory, align 4, hangman, tic-tac-toe ...
other: colors, shapes, Braille, learn to tell time ...
Currently GCompris offers more than 100 activities, and more are being developed. GCompris is free software, it means that you can adapt it to your own needs, improve it, and most importantly share it with children everywhere.
That's from https://gcompris.net/index-en.html

So without knowing anything about the package and how you use it with your children I note that it says
GCompris is free software, it means that you can adapt it to your own needs
Is it possible to take advantage of that to improve it to meet the needs of your children?

An RPi board cannot 'wear out'.

But a more modern RPi3B+ will have much more power/speed than your model which is probably an original from when they were first announced.

jahboater

Re: help a preschool teacher out!

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:44 am

alliep28 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:50 am
or is the best bet to buy new PIs.
The latest model Pi is always the best.
The recent 3B+ is still the same price ($35) as the original and is incomparably more powerful, more capable, and more modern.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”