mrdone

Chromium 70 on Raspberry Pi

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:51 am

It takes more than 25 secs to load Gmail on the latest RPi 3B+, while Google Maps are still completely unusable due to the incredible lags. After updating Chrome to v70 on my Win 10 laptop I have an impression that loading time of Gmail has decreased dramatically. Do not ask me why I am not web designer. Probably due to a further implementation of html 5 standard and rewriting client side of Gmail to take an advantage of it. Can someone copy that with stopwatch? If this is really the case it would be nice to see Chromium updated to v70. Any news regarding the time of update?

PS: Just for comparison, with Sandisk Extreme SD card Raspbian boots into desktop mode under 11 secs. I understand that this is comparing apples and pears, but for God sake, this is booting whole system compared to one web page although full of scripts :shock:

fruitoftheloom

Re: Chromium 70 on Raspberry Pi

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 am

mrdone wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:51 am
It takes more than 25 secs to load Gmail on the latest RPi 3B+, while Google Maps are still completely unusable due to the incredible lags. After updating Chrome to v70 on my Win 10 laptop I have an impression that loading time of Gmail has decreased dramatically. Do not ask me why I am not web designer. Probably due to a further implementation of html 5 standard and rewriting client side of Gmail to take an advantage of it. Can someone copy that with stopwatch? If this is really the case it would be nice to see Chromium updated to v70. Any news regarding the time of update?

PS: Just for comparison, with Sandisk Extreme SD card Raspbian boots into desktop mode under 11 secs. I understand that this is comparing apples and pears, but for God sake, this is booting whole system compared to one web page although full of scripts :shock:

Due to various changes to Chromium Browser the RPF can only offer chromium-browser version 65 at present, personally would not expect any update this side of Christmas.

Any modern web browser has to cope with bloated code, therefore would suggest to try Vivaldi Browser:

https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-for-raspberry-pi/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

mrdone

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:24 am

Pity to hear that. I am extensively using Google services so many things depend on the Google's account, but I will give a try to Vivaldi. I really hope that with production of RPi 4 RPF will abandon support of outdated models and will explore capabilities of modern chips. I doubt that many users nowadays use old models as a desktop so they will continue to do what they are doing now in headless setups. However, it will be a huge performance jump that will make RPi 4 a decent desktop computer replacement for a poor families and as a result more kids will be able to learn computer basics, which, as I understand, is a primary goal of RPF.

bensimmo

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 am

Gmail has a setting, link, click bit, at the bottom to load a low bandwidth version of Gmail. Or pull up the mobile version if you can.
I doubt a chrome update will speed normal Gmail up.
Mine on a few years old PC takes a while to load (i5-4460/750Ti/16GB) still.
There is no way the Pi3 has a chance ;-)
Although for a mail app, it load up speed is dire at the moment on the PC.
I can pull up online Microsoft Word and Excel quicker.

As for faster Pi desktop, no doubt it will be when they release it.
But they are fighting against Win10/MacOS PCs that have the power to use the web and all the security checks, integration, collaborations and media richness people seem to want.
Humble mobile chips just don't have that sort of power, that's why tablets/phones request cut down mobile versions and apps.
Even midrange phones can struggle with full pages (ignoring being able to read them).
Look at Google Go style apps, they're lightweight ram limited designs.

The Pi would need to make use of such things, but as it acts and requests desktop 'full fat', at $35 you are asking a lot for a cheap desktop device even in a Pi4 as the bigger desktop move on and webpages become even more 'full'.

Complain to Google, they're the ones that need to optimise their program/pages for low memory, low power devices.

Return to “Beginners”