Maze_fr

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Hello RPi people,

I'm Sébastien aka "Maze", from France (and yes, I can speak English...).
I'm a freelance Java developer / software architect.

I'm a Xubuntu user for years (I think I can use "decade" now...) and I proudly converted my wife, my sister and my mother to it.
Well... the very long annoying frustrating Windows Update processing time helped a lot, when they noticed I don't have to wait and reboot for ages Linux updates...

I'm also a mono video gamer : I like playing video games from time to time, but actually, I only play Stellaris in MP with my friends.

I've been interested in getting a RPi for years, thinking about a Java web application server, but 1Gb always have been a bit narrow...
So when I (recently) discovered the RPi 4B with 4Gb, how to resist ? This is my 2019 Xmas present.
One day, I will make a CICD server out of it, with Gitlab / Kubernetes / Docker, for my own business projects... but for now, I will play with it, to get used to it, and I have some ideas...
"Don't believe in forum signature quotations, they may be fakes" - Victor Hugo

Theo0101

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:19 am

Howdy crew!

I'm pretty new to raspberry pi. Just ordered my first one. A Pi-4 Complete Starter Kit from CanaKit. Any tips for how I can build up a collection of electronic parts like resistors, jumper cables, bread boards, etc. is much appreciated. I want to try some stuff. It looks like CanaKit has those too so maybe I'll start there.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone.

JumpmasterRT

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Eric. I'm a tinkerer and maker at heart. I got involved in programming back in 1985 with BASIC, Fortran and Comal and didn't pick anything back up until 1998. Since then it's been a hobbyist mix of LAMP, Java and C+/+.

When the Pi came out I knew I had to have one.

Much of my programming has been on the webdev side so, PHP, HTML, CSS etc. Recently since getting the Pi I've started learning Python and more Linux (I say more because I had learned the basics or "just enough to be dangerous" when learning to set up my home servers).

My non computer background is as a Respiratory Therapist (retired) turned professional Handyman. I've been a tinkerer/maker since I was a kid and the only thing that's ever changed has been what tools/materials I have to work with.

I love learning about things I don't know and finding useful and meaningful applications for what I've learned.

TerryC

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Just an update to my previous post (about 4 back) . . .

A friend found out I was planning to buy one soon and beat me to the punch, early Christmas present!

So I now have my Raspberry Pi. It's a 4B 4GB from CanaKit. Came with heat sinks, an enclosure with a cooling fan, power adapter, power switch (I really like that!), HDMI cable, a card reader, and NOOBS on a 32GB micro SD.

Unfortunately the wired USB keyboard that I'd planned to use turned out to be junk (it was old). A trip to WallyWorld yielded a Logitech wireless keyboard/touchpad combo for ~$20. Back in business.

Assembled everything and set it up with the card from the kit, but I had really wanted to do that myself, so as soon as I had it all updated and working, I pulled that one out and put it aside for safe keeping. I then took the new Sandisk 32GB card that I'd already had set aside for the Pi and went to work. I downloaded "Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software" and "Etcher" and created my own card, which I then installed in the Pi. Having already successfully installed NOOBS (despite having to quit and go get a new keyboard) setting up Raspian Buster went smooth, and soon I was online, posting on forums and watching videos.

So soon I'll be bugging you all in the other threads with lot of dumb questions. :lol:

Tc
Last edited by TerryC on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plastickitbuilder

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:04 am

Hi, my name is Mark and I am from Prince George, British Columbia, Canada. I have been using and testing many different linux distros for the past 12 years or so. Started with computers in the very early 80's with my first being a TRS -80 colour computer. Since then I have been involved with computers as a hobby and also repairing and upgrading. I have had my Pi 4 4gig ram for about 3 months now and it is very exciting to be diving in yet again into something new.

Artemus24

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:50 am

Hello everyone.

My nickname is Artemus Gordon and I am French.
I am a retired computer scientist.

I own several raspberry:
-> RPI 0 v1.3,
-> RPI 0W,
-> RPI 0WH + HAT TV Tunnel,
-> RPi 2B + Joy-it Serial I2C 20 × 4 2004 LCD Module,
-> RPi 2B + Module Unicorn HAT HD PIM273,
-> RPi 3A +,
-> RPi 3B +.
But not yet RPi 4B.
I bought my first Raspberry Pi 2B in March 2016.
Why Raspberry? to tell you the truth, it's to get back to Unix / Linux.

If I registered in this forum, it is to solve a problem.
I hope to find a solution because this problem is blocking!

Thank you !
Cordially.
Artemus24.
@ +

In A Right Pickle

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello, Very New To This Part Of The Interweb... Any Hoo Hello! :lol: :roll:
Mom used to say stop playing with your food and i would reply but mum.... I love my Raspberry Pi4 4GB. ;)

Zesic

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi all I'm Lydia from Livermore, CA.
Need advice from a techie on Raspberry Pi.
I've seen other half eyeing these up and want to get him one for his birthday. Not a clue where to start. Anyone have advice on where to get one for the best price and what specifications I should get? I'd like to get him the latest/best (if that exists!) Thanks in advance!

Return to “General discussion”