itsnej

'Build a Python Web server with flask' - BLOCKER. Cant get flask.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Hey guys,

Finally decided to start using my pi for something and worked through a few physical computing tutorials, now moved on to the 'Build a Python Web server with flask' project, but have encountered a problem. Project link https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... th-flask/3'

When I go to

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python3-flask
, I get the below output, which says it canT find flask.

I've spent a few hours today and yesterday looking for solutions, and have done sudo update, upgrade and reboots a few times. I edited my sources.list and uncommented the 3rd line and at least made some progress when i do a sudo apt-get source flask, when im told its:
Skipping already downloaded files 'flask_0.8-1.dsc', flask_0.8.orig.tar.gz, and flask_0.8-1.debian.tar.gz, but I don't know what to do from there:

Is there any way somebody could help me get flask imported and installed, or explain what I need to do please? Real head scratcher for me and I'm a little bit surprised and disappointed to have been stumped so easily.
Cheers!

topguy

Re: 'Build a Python Web server with flask' - BLOCKER. Cant get flask.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:38 am

Which version of Raspbian are you running ?

The name of the package should (afaik) be "python-flask" or "python3-flask" in Raspbian Stretch.
You can probably check with the command "apt-cache search flask"

Of course since this is Python I guess "pip install flask" or "pip3 install flask" also could be an option.

itsnej

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Looks like I'm using Wheezy version 7, and some quick googling seems to tell me I should be using Jessie. I thought doing the sudo-apt updates and installs would have put me on the best possible footing with regards to OS tbh.

Will try Jessie out and report back if it works.

DirkS

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:59 pm

itsnej wrote:
Looks like I'm using Wheezy version 7, and some quick googling seems to tell me I should be using Jessie.
Actually, you should be using Stretch.

mfa298

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 am

itsnej wrote:
I thought doing the sudo-apt updates and installs would have put me on the best possible footing with regards to OS tbh.
Apt will normally only update within a version, so you'll stay on wheezy. There are ways to upgrade from Wheezy -> Jessie > Stretch with apt (and editing some files) but it's generally easier and quicker to get the latest image and use that.

itsnej

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Cool, so I updated to Jessie and seem to have got it working, thanks a lot for that.

I'll look at moving to Stretch soon, but for now Jessie is working great.

Cheers!

Return to “Beginners”