B.Goode
Posts: 6544
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

[Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Release Notes

(from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
2018-10-09:
* In startup wizard, assign keyboard to country as per Debian installer recommendations
* In startup wizard, add option to use US keyboard in preference to country-specific option
* In startup wizard, show IP address on first page
* In startup wizard, check for existing wifi network connection and show it if there is one
* In startup wizard, install language support packages for LibreOffice and other applications
* In startup wizard, improve operation with keyboard only and no mouse
* Password change in Raspberry Pi Configuration and startup wizard now works properly if passwords contain shell characters
* Battery indicator plugin modified to cope with Pi-top hardware monitor crashing
* Networking plugin hides wifi password characters by default
* In Scratch 2 GPIO plugin, set pin from dropdown list rather than free text
* In Scratch 2 SenseHAT plugin, swap x and y axis values for LED array
* Include latest Adobe Flash player (31.0.0.108)
* Include latest RealVNC Server (6.3.1)
* Include libav-tools
* Include ssh-import-id
* Removed Mathematica
* Merge in latest third-party code for Bluetooth ALSA interface
* Add ability to prevent software update changing configuration files, by creating ~/.config/.lock file
* Various other small bug fixes, tweaks and changes to text
* Make dhcpcd work with 3G devices
* Add hw acceleration to ffmpeg
* Improved WiFi-BT coexistence parameters
* Run fake-hwclock before systemd-fsck-root
* Raspberry Pi PoE HAT support
* Linux kernel 4.14.71
* Raspberry Pi firmware 5b49caa17e91d0e64024380119ad739bb201c674

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17838
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:15 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm
Release Notes

(from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
2018-10-09:
* In startup wizard, assign keyboard to country as per Debian installer recommendations
* In startup wizard, add option to use US keyboard in preference to country-specific option
* In startup wizard, show IP address on first page
* In startup wizard, check for existing wifi network connection and show it if there is one
* In startup wizard, install language support packages for LibreOffice and other applications
* In startup wizard, improve operation with keyboard only and no mouse
* Password change in Raspberry Pi Configuration and startup wizard now works properly if passwords contain shell characters
* Battery indicator plugin modified to cope with Pi-top hardware monitor crashing
* Networking plugin hides wifi password characters by default
* In Scratch 2 GPIO plugin, set pin from dropdown list rather than free text
* In Scratch 2 SenseHAT plugin, swap x and y axis values for LED array
* Include latest Adobe Flash player (31.0.0.108)
* Include latest RealVNC Server (6.3.1)
* Include libav-tools
* Include ssh-import-id
* Removed Mathematica
* Merge in latest third-party code for Bluetooth ALSA interface
* Add ability to prevent software update changing configuration files, by creating ~/.config/.lock file
* Various other small bug fixes, tweaks and changes to text
* Make dhcpcd work with 3G devices
* Add hw acceleration to ffmpeg
* Improved WiFi-BT coexistence parameters
* Run fake-hwclock before systemd-fsck-root
* Raspberry Pi PoE HAT support
* Linux kernel 4.14.71
* Raspberry Pi firmware 5b49caa17e91d0e64024380119ad739bb201c674

I must retreive my RPi and test this latest release on a new install !!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1376438
Adieu

hippy
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 pm

* Removed Mathematica
Does that mean Wolfram's gone ? :o

I remove it by default but having Wolfram/Mathematica had always seemed to be a big USP of the Pi to some.

It doesn't even seem installable as a package -

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package wolfram-engine  
Last edited by hippy on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andyroo
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 am

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:25 pm

hippy wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 pm
* Removed Mathematica
Does that mean Wolfram's gone ? :o

I remove it by default but having Wolfram/Mathematica had always seemed to be a big USP of the Pi to some.

It doesn't even seem installable as a package -

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package wolfram-engine  

There is a separate thread here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4&t=224629 on this
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

oguime
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 am

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 am

Is ffmpeg with hw acceleration installed on Stretch lite?

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3031
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am

Just gave Lite a try on my USB-SSD booted Pi3B and it's working as expected.

  • Downloaded via torrent
  • Imaged the drive with Etcher (2018-10-09-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip)
  • Added my wpa_supplicant.conf and an empty ssh.txt to the "boot" partition
  • Ejected it from my PC and reconnected it to the Pi
  • Powered up the little Pi, and away she went.

SSH in, change password and few configuration settings, reboot and I have console output in my other (serial) terminal. Now on to adding users and other boring stuff. No problems so far. WiFi connected right up with my old wpa_supplicant.conf. IP was already configured in my router, so no trouble connecting to the system via SSH. Everything seems right as rain in Raspberry land. :D

Am I allowed to say that (is rain actually right anywhere outside the UK)? ;)
I'm in the Pacific Northwest USA, so it should be okay. :lol:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 34166
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:40 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am
Am I allowed to say that (is rain actually right anywhere outside the UK)? ;)
I'm in the Pacific Northwest USA, so it should be okay. :lol:
Our next door neighbours get more of it on their small green, very wet island. We're getting lots with Atlantic storm Callum blowing a hoolie and dumping a load of rain on both us and Ireland. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45838058

Weather is the thing us Brits talk about when there's nothing much else going on in the world. I like the suggestion from WL Phelps quoted here: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/right-as-rain
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

User avatar
ksharindam
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 am

oguime wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 am
Is ffmpeg with hw acceleration installed on Stretch lite?
ffmpeg is not installed by default in stretch lite. but if you install it using apt-get, you will get hw-accleration enabled ffmpeg.

BTW, hw-accleration support on ffmpeg was already added more than 8 months ago, not in this release.
My Qt projects at ... https://github.com/ksharindam

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5371
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 am

ksharindam wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 am
oguime wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 am
Is ffmpeg with hw acceleration installed on Stretch lite?
ffmpeg is not installed by default in stretch lite. but if you install it using apt-get, you will get hw-accleration enabled ffmpeg.

BTW, hw-accleration support on ffmpeg was already added more than 8 months ago, not in this release.
I was going through the list of changed packages between the last release image and this one and it looked like that patch wasn't in the previous image. Not 100% sure.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3031
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:40 am
Weather is the thing us Brits talk about when there's nothing much else going on in the world.
Here in Oregon we say there are only 2 seasons...


... rainy and construction.


A quick google search says we get much more rain here in Portland, Oregon than London in the UK (roughly double at 43 inches, or 1.09M). But we're only #10 on the top ten rainiest cities in the USA. #1 is Mobile, Alabama at 67 inches (1.7M), but they only average 59 rainy days a year, compared to our 154 days. It doesn't rain as hard here, but it rains a lot more often (over 40% of the time).

Feel any better about your weather over there, Dougie? :D
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20929
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:11 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:40 am
Weather is the thing us Brits talk about when there's nothing much else going on in the world.
Here in Oregon we say there are only 2 seasons...


... rainy and construction.


A quick google search says we get much more rain here in Portland, Oregon than London in the UK (roughly double at 43 inches, or 1.09M). But we're only #10 on the top ten rainiest cities in the USA. #1 is Mobile, Alabama at 67 inches (1.7M), but they only average 59 rainy days a year, compared to our 154 days. It doesn't rain as hard here, but it rains a lot more often (over 40% of the time).

Feel any better about your weather over there, Dougie? :D
We'll have much better weather after Brexit. None of that dodgy European weather. At least, I think that was one of the things promised.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 5516
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK
Contact: Website

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:04 pm

It's not how much rain we get as when.

It's fine and sunny, so I wash the bedding. The wash cycle finishes, and the rain starts.

This morning my neighbour (in the other half of our semi) took his roof off. It promptly started to rain, with the wind blowing it straight into our loft.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5371
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Let's be honest. It should be "It's not about how much rain we get or when we get it, it's about how much we complain about it. And it it's sunny, we'll complain about that too."

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3031
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:31 am

It's a shame that all we have to talk about in this thread about a new release of Raspbian is the weather.

Hopefully someone will find something horribly wrong with the new release soon and get this thread back on topic. ;)
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

epoch1970
Posts: 2132
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:26 am

I'm interested in that.
Would a kind soul do my job and tell me where the improvement comes from: kernel/firmware, userland, both?
Thanks ;)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

B.Goode
Posts: 6544
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:31 am
It's a shame that all we have to talk about in this thread about a new release of Raspbian is the weather.

Hopefully someone will find something horribly wrong with the new release soon and get this thread back on topic. ;)

Well it's not something wrong with the new release per-se, but here's something I think is worth noting...


In a similar thread to this one an RPF engineer has said
Those [historic, archived, Raspbian OS] images will have Mathematica stripped out.
(https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1376850)

I can see the legal impasse that the RPF have gotten themselves into. But I think it is a shame that resolving it means resorting to rewriting history to the extent that there will be no public archive of the actual released OS images from the past 6 years or so of the development of the RPi hardware and corresponding Raspbian OS.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 34166
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:30 am

epoch1970 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:26 am
I'm interested in that.
Would a kind soul do my job and tell me where the improvement comes from: kernel/firmware, userland, both?
Thanks ;)
It's probably in the Broadcom firmware package.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

epoch1970
Posts: 2132
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: [Unofficial announcement] Raspbian - October 2018 version

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:40 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:30 am
It's probably in the Broadcom firmware package.
Thanks!
(I like blobs, finally)

EDIT: You got it exactly right I think. Thanks again.
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware- ... 173402ae43
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Raspbian”