Alfarabi

Object detection robot using raspberry pi

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 am

I'm Alfarabi, I am currently trying to complete my final project. My final project is about how to detect an object in obstacle condition (the object that wants to detect a just basic shape of an object, like the triangle, circle, square, etc.). I use line follower robot including camera to detect it and raspberry pi as its controller. Can you explain me about basic object detection and math form to solve it? because this is new for me. Thanks

topguy

Re: Object detection robot using raspberry pi

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 am

It doesnt sound like you have the time to write object detection from scratch so I would suggest you do an internet search for how to do simple shapes detection ( and tracking if needed ) with OpenCV.

Some background on algorithms can be found here, with algorithm names so you can search for more detailed information if you want.
https://www.learnopencv.com/image-recog ... ion-part1/

Maybe look at more tutorials...
https://www.intorobotics.com/how-to-det ... th-opencv/

PiGraham

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am

It will be a simpler task if you only have to detect which of a few simple shapes is in view.
You can tell the difference between triangle, square and circle (for example) just by measuring the ratio of perimeter to surface area. You can get those values from "blob labelling". See OpenCV FindContours()
Can you colour the objects? [ETA] if you can then you can threshold pixels by RGB (or HSI or LAB values) which cen be simpler than working with shaepes.
Last edited by PiGraham on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alfarabi

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 am

@PiGraham, yes, it can detect shape and colour of object. BTW, thanks all for the answer. I will do it

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”