evasjo

Upstream driver snd-bcm2835

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Hello,

The analog audio driver for the 3.5 mm jack "snd-bcm2835" needs to be upstreamed.

I made a Debian bug report 856505 here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=856505
I made a guide for Debian here: https://github.com/evasjo/DebianSbcRaspberry
My monitor has 3 connectors: DP, DVI and VGA. I can therefore not use audio through HDMI.
I have tested usb audio device with Pulseaudio in Rpi2, Rpi3 and Rpi3B+, but I have little success and a lot of usb errors. I use Debian release sid (linux 4.18) and I have the same problem in both armhf and arm64 flavour. All usb patches in Raspbian are probably not upstreamed and Pulseaudio in KDE uses more resources.

If snd-bcm2835 could be upstreamed, I do not need a device for USB audio or a device to split out audio from HDMI.

Best Regards,
Evald

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Upstream driver snd-bcm2835

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am

jamesh

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Odd. We've had a report on the previous post. And I fail to see why - is it really "a fine example of everything that is wrong with this forum"? It's a bit terse, but gives a precise and accurate answer to the OP's question, and would have involved the engineer involved doing some work to determine what was going on.

I do wonder sometimes, what people actually want from this forum.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

feelslikeautumn

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Yes I reported PhilE's post using the private facility. I wouldn't of done so if I knew you were going to hijack evasjo's thread to discuss it. That is very disrespectful to evasjo. All that is going to happen is this thread will eventually be locked, because that is what happens to every thread that discusses the acceptability of posts. I'm happy to expand on why I reported the post, if you start a new thread and you genuinely want to listen to people's views.

feelslikeautumn

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm

evasjo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 pm
Hello,

The analog audio driver for the 3.5 mm jack "snd-bcm2835" needs to be upstreamed.

I made a Debian bug report 856505 here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=856505
I made a guide for Debian here: https://github.com/evasjo/DebianSbcRaspberry
My monitor has 3 connectors: DP, DVI and VGA. I can therefore not use audio through HDMI.
I have tested usb audio device with Pulseaudio in Rpi2, Rpi3 and Rpi3B+, but I have little success and a lot of usb errors. I use Debian release sid (linux 4.18) and I have the same problem in both armhf and arm64 flavour. All usb patches in Raspbian are probably not upstreamed and Pulseaudio in KDE uses more resources.

If snd-bcm2835 could be upstreamed, I do not need a device for USB audio or a device to split out audio from HDMI.

Best Regards,
Evald
Hi evasjo

I'm sorry about the noise above.

Looking at the link by PhilE it looks like the driver you want has reached the staging section of the linux kernel. I don't know if debian is able to include staging drivers, but it might be worth asking Ben H the Debian kernel maintainer again.

In the meantime you can compile the driver without compiling the whole kernel. I like to do this with dkms. I don't have the time right now to give detailed instructions, but if I remember rightly Debian have a good wiki guide on how to do it. If you have a go with dkms and get stuck then please get in touch again and I'll try to help.

Hope that helps!

jamesh

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 pm
Yes I reported PhilE's post using the private facility. I wouldn't of done so if I knew you were going to hijack evasjo's thread to discuss it. That is very disrespectful to evasjo. All that is going to happen is this thread will eventually be locked, because that is what happens to every thread that discusses the acceptability of posts. I'm happy to expand on why I reported the post, if you start a new thread and you genuinely want to listen to people's views.
Private, which is why your username was not mentioned.

Feel free to state why you thought the post was so utterly objectionable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

evasjo

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank you for your replies.
I have forwarded it in Debian bug 856505 and hope it can be resolved.

swahren

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:13 am

Hi evasjo,

yes it's true that snd-bcm2835 is in staging, but there are reasons for this. One of them is the question how should the driver be probed.
In the Foundation kernel this is done by devicetree, which has been rejected mainline for devices connected via firmware.

Im currently working on this, but don't expect a solution before Linux 4.20/5.0.

evasjo

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi swahren,
Thank you for your response and your efforts.
In the meantime I will look in dkms to compile the driver.

Return to “Debian”