RetroWill

I keep being brought to the command line from Desktop

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi

I got my Raspberry Pi on Friday and last night I was playing with it. In installed RetroPie and went to be to continue today. Now for some reason when I boot up my Pi it goes to the Desktop as usual and then after a few seconds it returns to the command line and it's asking me to login. I Googled the password etc but after entering in the details, how can I return to the desktop?

Thanks in advance
Will

HawaiianPi

Re: I keep being brought to the command line from Desktop

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 pm

You googled the password? :? Didn't you change it when you first set it up?

If your Pi has been connected to the Internet with the default username and password it may have been hacked.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

B.Goode

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm

RetroWill wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Hi

I got my Raspberry Pi on Friday and last night I was playing with it. In installed RetroPie and went to be to continue today. Now for some reason when I boot up my Pi it goes to the Desktop as usual and then after a few seconds it returns to the command line and it's asking me to login. I Googled the password etc but after entering in the details, how can I return to the desktop?

Thanks in advance
Will

This behaviour can be caused by having inadequate free space left on the root filesystem.

Given that you probably do not have any valuable data stored on your RPi after such a short period of use, simply re-installing the Operating System will be the fastest route to making progress.

k-pi

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am

If you are getting booted to the command line, try entering startx at the prompt & press return.

Return to “Beginners”