desmond9

Extending Wifi Signal

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 am

Just wondering how it might be possible to extend my WIFI signal an extra 300 metres or so. We have a holiday cottage close to our home and I thought this would be the easier way of offering internet to my guests. Any thoughts would be appreciated.?

LTolledo

Re: Extending Wifi Signal

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 am

WiFi signal from your:

a) Raspberry Pi based DIY router, or

b) ordinary purpose-built off-the-shelf router?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

PhatFil

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 am

have a google around the Phrase 'directional wifi transmitter/receiver'

theoretically if you devote a pair of ap devices and focus their transmission/reception into a narrow band pointing at each other Yes but it would involve a little spending.

alternatively you could also try leapfrogging a signal across 3 or more cheap battery powered ap devices, but that would probably require a daily battery exchange/recharge.. perhaps buy one and see how far you can walk away and still 'hear' it from your home.. got any old phones with hotspot capacity?? baggy em with an extra battery??

300m is way too long for a network cable and to breach would probably involve a couple of inline repeaters so could be done with a poe setup perhaps
might cost a bit more but would be more reliable and advertising wifi and not being able to provide it will probably upset guests disproportionately

desmond9

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Thank you very much for the advice people. I think I will look more in to the method of connecting a transmitter to the router, as I think I can get my head around that. I'm not overly technically minded so don't want to try anything too ambitious but think I can afix a TX to the router with few problems. Cheers.

PiGraham

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:14 pm

desmond9 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 am
Just wondering how it might be possible to extend my WIFI signal an extra 300 metres or so. We have a holiday cottage close to our home and I thought this would be the easier way of offering internet to my guests. Any thoughts would be appreciated.?
TPLINK EAP225 outdoor AP should give you 300+m in all directions. I have had >900m from that to a tablet with an Alfa USB adaptor on it.