acouchman

Transmitting video signal

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Hello all,

I'm working on a senior design project this semester for my engineering degree. This project includes streaming live video up to a quarter mile away. Being a mechanical engineering student, I have zero experience with electronics and RF hardware. I've watched a whole lot of YouTube content on how to stream with the Pi but its all bluetooth and wifi streaming which i don't think has the range I'm looking for. As for as I can tell, I need a video transmitter and receiver. I've been unable to find any youtube content regarding how to connect a video transmitter to the Pi. Any help would be much appreciated.

ethanol100

Re: Transmitting video signal

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 am

Streaming a video need bandwidth, bandwidth and distance are somehow different to achieve. You will need to be first clear about your project's requirements. Which frame rate is needed, which bit rate, which resolution, what about latency? Then you can start looking for ways to transfer it. Do you have a clear line of sight? Start simple, use wifi for smaller distances. If it does not work for larger distances, search for alternatives. Drones can easily reach 1mile today for video transmission.

B.Goode

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:18 am

I've been unable to find any youtube content regarding how to connect a video transmitter to the Pi. Any help would be much appreciated.

You almost certainly do not want or need to connect a video transmitter to your RPi.

The video needs to be encoded into a digital form first, and then it can be transmitted over any distance by using an appropriate digital network technology.

You omit to say whether the endpoints (transmitter and receiver) are at fixed locations or whether they need to be mobile.

PiGraham

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:41 am

You can get quite long range with WiFi. A quater mile should be no problem if conditions are favourable.

Up to 1km should be fairly easy and CPE kit claims >10km for building to building links. Kit is available <£100.

I'v had 1km between a handheld tablet connected to an Alfa AWUS036ACH USB adaptor and a TPLink EAP225 outdoor AP on a camera tripod.

The key things are to get some elevation above the ground (e.g. chest height to head height). Higher is better, have clear line of sight, no trees or buildings in the way. Also use antennas with matched polarisation.

WiFi is a good choice for HD video since it has good bandwidth and secure digital transmisison.

If you don't need HD you could look at FPV (first person view) video transmitters and recievers. These are readilly available for use with quadcopters and other RC devices and can send composite video reasonable distances. They should work with RPI composite video.

The FPV video option will probably be lower latency than streaming H64 over WiFi.
Last edited by PiGraham on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavinmc42

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am

Pi's have a analog TV output, plug that into a 5.8GHz RPV transmitter.

You are just using a Pi instead of the normal tiny analog FPV camera.
You could even do text overlay, ie GPS position.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

PiGraham

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Although if you go the FPV route you could just use an FPV camera.
Last edited by PiGraham on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

hippy

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:20 pm

You haven't said what you mean by transmitting but it seems you may be meaning 'over the air'. There a few projects describing DVB-T and other TV transmission systems out there using a Pi, including this -

http://oz9aec.net/technology/dvb/turn-y ... ransmitter

If you choose commercial equipment you can likely find something which takes composite or HDMI in and broadcasts that. For an in-home transmitter-receiver system you can probably buy off the shelf, but a quarter of a mile would require something more substantial. Most of the equipment used tends to be expensive and you would really need to look into licensing and regulations to do it all legally.

You could consider some other means of transmission which would have less problems and considerations than you would face doing it 'over the air'.

Return to “Camera board”