Mukkod

Pi Square POS

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:12 am

i was wondering if itd be possible to have a Pi running android(ofc it can lmao) and the Square POS app and have it be a sort of compact tablet like design with an aux input and touch screen for the customers to select options and sign for payment. itd also need a fairly large battery life as this is for delivery driving for a pizza place. im new to these and i just need some guidance( and hopefully links to the parts!) so i can make my own life easier and impress my boss at the same time.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Pi Square POS

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:52 am

Mukkod wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:12 am
i was wondering if itd be possible to have a Pi running android(ofc it can lmao) and the Square POS app and have it be a sort of compact tablet like design with an aux input and touch screen for the customers to select options and sign for payment. itd also need a fairly large battery life as this is for delivery driving for a pizza place. im new to these and i just need some guidance( and hopefully links to the parts!) so i can make my own life easier and impress my boss at the same time.

Android is Community Supported and there is a whole Forum Section here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=73
Adieu

hippy

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 am

I would suggest starting with Konsta's build of LineageOS 14.1 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, then side-load install your app and see if it works -

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=220601

Mukkod

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 am

i can do the software stuff, i just really need guidance on the hardware

scotty101

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 am

Mukkod wrote:
Honestly... you'd be better off with a tablet than starting with a Pi. Unless you have some serious skills, you'll end up with a not very robust very thick tablet and you'd need to buy load of different parts and cobble them together. Given the price of some Android tablets, it would be cheaper and more convenient to just buy one.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

hippy

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:09 pm

scotty101 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 am
Mukkod wrote:
Honestly... you'd be better off with a tablet than starting with a Pi.
That's a fair point. Why reinvent what already exists and has everything you seem to need ?

Most tablets have low-power modes and power-management which will require less power than a Pi solution and, if needed, you can probably build a unit with greater battery capacity by modding a tablet just as easily as you can build a Pi-based tablet to do the same.

I wanted to be able to carry my DVD and CD lists around with me when out shopping. I ended up writing an Android app and buying a £15 smart phone which gives me a week or more of use between charges. I looked at a Pi-based solution but it just couldn't compete, wasn't a realistic contender.

I am not sure what this "aux input" is which you need but that could possibly be catered for by USB, Bluetooth, WiFi, or even interfacing through the mic and earphone socket.

Return to “Android”