Shdwdrgn

Trouble with 8188eu under Stretch

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:01 pm

I have an RPi3B with the built-in wifi, but also a second wifi provided through USB. This device is reported as:

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter
I originally had this hardware set up running Jessie but thought I should upgrade, so I wrote a new image of Stretch to my card and have been trying to get both wifi devices to work properly again. The goal of this setup is to set the internal wifi as an access point (ap0) and allow the USB wifi dongle to function as a regular link to any available WAPs. Towards this I have the following:

/etc/dhcpcd.conf additions:

interface ap0
static ip_address=10.40.0.1/24
nohook wpa_supplicant
denyinterfaces ap0

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="b8:27:eb:88:8c:83", NAME="ap0"

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="MY_SSID"
        psk="MY_PASSWD"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        priority=5
}
network={
        key_mgmt=NONE
        priority=-1
}

I also have hostapd set up, however after a reboot ap0 is set up and works correctly and connections to it do route properly through the eth0 interface (which is plugged into the local network) so I believe there is nothing else to do there.

The problem is that wlan0 never associates with my WAP. Running 'ps ax' shows:

/sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s -O /run/wpa_supplicant

ifconfig wlan0:

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 00:11:7f:bd:2a:ab  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 3796 (3.7 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 3 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

iwconfig wlan0:

wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"<[email protected]>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.447 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Sensitivity:0/0  
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

The one item that seems to indicate a problem is from iwlist wlan0 scan. It is returning the SSID that I set to ap0 (as expected) plus one SSID of a neighbor's router (on and off, not consistently), but it doesn't return the SSID of my own WAP despite being only 5 feet away. I can however see and connect to the WAP from my phone and laptops using the passphrase. Note the WAP only broadcasts on B/G as it is an older unit.

I've been working on this issue through the weekend and read a LOT of suggestions about getting these devices to work. It looks like there were early bugs in Stretch that were fixed around November, and at this point the device is supposed to 'just work'. Perhaps it doesn't like working together with the Pi3's internal wifi, or doesn't like something about hostapd, but something doesn't seem to work right since Jessie. One of the suggestion I found was that this chipset needs to use wext in wpa_supplicant_driver. Towards that end I added the following to /etc/dhcpcd.conf:

interface wlan0
env ifwireless=1
env wpa_supplicant_driver=nl80211,wext

After restarting, ps ax shows this:

wpa_supplicant -B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf -iwlan0 -Dnl80211,wext

However wlan0 still does not associate with my WAP nor find any other devices from iwlist wlan0 scan. At this point I am out of ideas on what to try. Any help would be appreciated!

Shdwdrgn

Re: Trouble with 8188eu under Stretch

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:08 pm

One other lead I forgot to mention... there are several pages which discuss compiled drivers for this chipset at http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/
The problem is that they provide drivers for kernels 4.9 and 4.14, but skipped right over 4.13. I've fully updated my installation and have 4.13.16-v7 #1 SMP installed, so apparently I am out of luck in getting an alternate driver for this setup.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:08 pm
One other lead I forgot to mention... there are several pages which discuss compiled drivers for this chipset at http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/
The problem is that they provide drivers for kernels 4.9 and 4.14, but skipped right over 4.13. I've fully updated my installation and have 4.13.16-v7 #1 SMP installed, so apparently I am out of luck in getting an alternate driver for this setup.

The latest Raspbian Stretch release has Kernel 4.14, prior to that 4.9:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
Adieu

Shdwdrgn

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

OK any thoughts on why the kernel isn't updating? I've run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade. That should have been enough to get everything up to date and is pretty much the standard practice after every new installation.

Oddly, I noticed that /lib/modules/ contains kernels for 4.14.62+ and 4.14.62-v7+, but it still boots into 4.13. Obviously I'm missing something here because on a full debian system it automatically uses the latest kernel after you reboot.

[EDIT] erg, there's an rpi-update script that has to be run. OK I'm running a 4.14 kernel now, will try out that compiled driver and see if I make any further progress.

Shdwdrgn

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 pm

All right, the new driver is in place and the system rebooted. There's a whole lot more traffic in syslog now referring to RTL871X and rtl8188e, but it still doesn't seem to want to associate with my WAP. Running 'iwlist wlan0 scan' still only produces the one or two entries. Scanning on ap0 shows my WAP however.

I also tried to manually associate the WAP -- iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_SSID. This apparently fails as by the time I check iwconfig for wlan0 it has already reset back to the default [email protected] I tested with and without the wext flag, but seem to be stuck trying to associate the SSID.

Shdwdrgn

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:37 am

Still no luck getting a solid association of the wifi, however every once in awhile it does seem to make the connection and even obtain an IP address... and almost immediately dumps it. There are three persistent lines scrolling through syslog about every 5 seconds.

RTL871X: nolinked power save enter
==> rtl8188e_iol_efuse_patch
RTL871X: nolinked power save leave

I'm out of ideas on how to make this thing work.

Shdwdrgn

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 pm

I picked up an Edimax EW-7811Un device this week. Plugged it in and everything worked instantly out of the box. If anyone else comes along looking for a solution to the 8188eu chipset my suggestion is to throw it in the trash and don't waste any more time with it. :?

Return to “Troubleshooting”