cjan

[updated] kernel update issue

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Alarm kernel update follow raspbian's rpi-update branch.
but, why not update rasberrypi-firmware package at same time?
Last edited by cjan on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

wh7qq

Re: kernel update issue

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:47 am

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Firmware updates may possibly effect dependencies with other software packages so best not to do them unless specifically told to do so by RPIF or others.

cjan

Re: [updated] kernel update issue

Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:45 am

wh7qq wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:47 am
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Firmware updates may possibly effect dependencies with other software packages so best not to do them unless specifically told to do so by RPIF or others.
yes, sir.
but we are in arch not debian^^
btw, they updated.

sdjf

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Your question confuses me. Exactly what is your problem?

I run archlinuxarm on both my pi's, and we use pacman for updating. What happened exactly? What command(s) did you enter.

I am rusty on the details as have not updated my system in a while, but you need to refresh your local package database for pacman to know what the most recent packages are.

I do see the archlinuxarm firmware for the pi was last updated April 6. If you have an issue with that not being recent enough, you should be posting a query at the archlinuxarm forum, since the foundation does not support archlinuxarm and the developer who maintains our archlinux raspberry pi packages is there, not here.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

cjan

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 am

sdjf wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:45 pm
Your question confuses me. Exactly what is your problem?

I run archlinuxarm on both my pi's, and we use pacman for updating. What happened exactly? What command(s) did you enter.

I am rusty on the details as have not updated my system in a while, but you need to refresh your local package database for pacman to know what the most recent packages are.

I do see the archlinuxarm firmware for the pi was last updated April 6. If you have an issue with that not being recent enough, you should be posting a query at the archlinuxarm forum, since the foundation does not support archlinuxarm and the developer who maintains our archlinux raspberry pi packages is there, not here.
rasberrypi-firmware update behind linux-raspberrypi packages about 3 days, so ask.
alarm forum mostly no body home, and you show up here not there, right?
another thought, why not follow 4.18 branch like others Soc repos, more edge?
e.g. linux-aarch64-4.18.5 & linux-aarch64-4.19-rc1.

sdjf

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:05 am

Yes I showed up here, but I am not a developer or maintainer. If you have a complaint about the maintainer not updating fast enough, you need to take it to them, as I explained in my other reply.

But one person does all the updating for all of archlinuxarm so I seriously doubt they will respond positively to a complaint. They update as often as they can.

If you want a distribution that is in total sync with the Foundation changes, then maybe you need to look at other distributions. Three days is not very long - not in my thinking. A month or two, yes, that would mean something was wrong, but a couple of days is not that long.

For all we know, they may have found some issue with the package you are talking about and chosen not to update it, you cannot know without asking them the reason. But they do not read this forum and the Foundation and Raspbian people cannot answer your question here.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

cjan

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:23 am

yes, sir.
but this sub forum exist, so i chat with everyone.

Return to “Arch”