mikedefieslife

Getting GPS (BU-353) to work with Pi3b+ and Stretch

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi,

I am running the stretch lite (command line only) on my Pi3B+ and have plugged in a BU-353 USB puck.

This shown in the OS as

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
A view of the syslog also shows that is at:

usb 1-1.1.2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
So I run:

sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
and

cgps -s
Unfortunately, I'm greeted with:

┌───────────────────────────────────────────┐┌─────────────────────────────────┐
│    Time:       n/a                        ││PRN:   Elev:  Azim:  SNR:  Used: │
│    Latitude:   n/a                        ││                                 │
│    Longitude:  n/a                        ││                                 │
│    Altitude:   n/a                        ││                                 │
│    Speed:      n/a                        ││                                 │
│    Heading:    n/a                        ││                                 │
│    Climb:      n/a                        ││                                 │
│    Status:     NO FIX (0 secs)            ││                                 │
│    Longitude Err:   n/a                   ││                                 │
│    Latitude Err:    n/a                   ││                                 │
│    Altitude Err:    n/a                   ││                                 │
│    Course Err:      n/a                   ││                                 │
│    Speed Err:       n/a                   ││                                 │
│    Time offset:     n/a                   ││                                 │
│    Grid Square:     n/a                   ││                                 │
└───────────────────────────────────────────┘└─────────────────────────────────┘

Now this is with the puck outside in clear view of the sky. Plugged into my macbook even inside in this location it finds satellites within a minute from cold boot.

So I run the following:

cat /dev/ttyUSB0
Unfortunately this doesn't produce any output at all.

At the moment I'm at a dead end with this. Plenty of others have this chipset working without issue, so I'm unsure what the problem is here. Any suggestions would be welcome.

lapolis

Re: Getting GPS (BU-353) to work with Pi3b+ and Stretch

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm

hi there! I am facing the same problem now.. did you solve it by any chance?

mikedefieslife

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:52 pm

lapolis wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm
hi there! I am facing the same problem now.. did you solve it by any chance?
Unfortunately no. Likely only a limited few of us have this hardware software combo, so there aren't enough people out there to comment. It's a shame though as it is all supposed to be compatible pretty much out of the box.

It must be a raspbian issue (maybe even unique to Stretch), as like I say it works in other nix based platforms.

Will try to experiment more soon.

Andyroo

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Did either of you stumble across this post? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 48#p920366 It seems that the puck will send data via the USB port to the Pi so maybe its just worth trying

cat /dev/ttyUSB0
And see if you get any data out?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

wolf.z

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:08 pm

...spent much too many hours of my lifetime with an annoying bug of Raspbian Jessie with gpsd. Therefore: Before involving gpsd check for anything, coming from your ttyUSB0. Use

stty -F /dev/ttyXXX ispeed 4800 && cat </dev/ttyXXX
replace ttyXXX with the filename of the port.

Before, you have to stop anything from taking the (virtual) serial port. Especially stop gpsd:

sudo service gpsd stop
or

sudo systemctl stop gpsd.service
follow the information given in the link.

In case you see valuable output with stty, proceed with gpsd.
To my experience with Jessie there was this annoying bug. Maybe it's still with Stretch:

"Now you have to apply a patch, as the Raspbian GPSD installation does not start GPSD at boot. GPSD waits for applications to connect to the gpsd.socket to start. Unfortunately NTP does not fulfill the GPSD run condition (neither does the –n option, telling gpsd as comes with Raspbian not to wait for client connects) or it is just a fat bug. Create a link
ln -s /lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/
After, GPSD will start as expected."

Well, that was with Jessie.

As soon, as stty will show anything valuable, everything with your GPS and the prolific driver will be OK. If not, blame your hardware and go back to start.

mikedefieslife

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:54 pm

I have this working now BUT, I've ditched Stretch and installed OpenPlotter which a basically Stretch with a whole munch of marine applications installed.

Plugging in the GPS was found and almost ready to use. I just had to select whether I wanted to access it via GPSD, or Kplex (which is a nmea 0183 multiplexer).

Both worked perfectly well.
Oddly the command cgps -s still doesn't show anything. But cat /dev/dev/ttyUSB0 now posts the output of the GPS. This didn't happen under stretch.

Sorry I can be of more help to others, but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel for others who are stuck.

bensimmo

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:05 pm

does
gpsmon /dev/ttyUSB0
show anything ?

(with and without gpsd running_

mikedefieslife

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Not sure if this is what you were asking

[email protected]:~ $ gpsmon /dev/ttyUSB0 
gpsmon:ERROR: /dev/ttyUSB0 already opened by another process
[email protected]:~ $ sudo service gpsd stop
[email protected]:~ $ gpsmon /dev/ttyUSB0 
gpsmon:ERROR: device open of /dev/ttyUSB0 failed: Device or resource busy - retrying read-only
gpsmon:ERROR: read-only device open of /dev/ttyUSB0 failed: Device or resource busy

bensimmo

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Ah still on openplotter.
No idea why it wouldn't work on there, I guess there is more holding it open.
(I would also try
killall gpsd )
I was thinking on Raspbian.
It should just work as it has its own driver system, and you can even kick it into sirff mode too iirc.
After cat of the device, if that work I then use gpsmon to interpret all the names for me. (It similar to cgps but without the need for gpsd)

Return to “Troubleshooting”