kings

breadboard: loose connections

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:11 pm

I purchased a inexpensive, but nice electronics kit from UCTronics and am finding a huge amount of inconsistency with the connections of the male jumper wires into the breadboard. For a long time, I thought I had bad components, but later realized that it was the connections. Some rows on the breakout board are nice and snug and others are too loose.

Are all breadboards of similar quality? The one I have looks pretty standard. Any recommendations for getting a good one?

Brandon92

Re: breadboard: loose connections

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:10 pm

There is indeed a large quality different in breadboards. And it's a very good possibility that there provide a lower end breadboard. And as they are saying; you get what you paid for ;) . The breadboard that I use is this one and I don't have any problem with it. (you can't by it any more from there)

For the recommendation part: I don't where you are living and I know only some quality one in my own country.

kings

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:12 am

I am in the US and it looks like your model is sold in this country under the Elenco name (Microcenter sells them). Elenco has lots of simple boards, too, so maybe I will give them a shot.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Brandon92

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:28 am

Good to hear that you found something.
But in the description of you board I found this:
This BreadBoard is a low cost, yet high reliability unit and is completely reusable.

So, it could be the same thing as you already used. But than on a metal plate and more. But I think the seller knows it best :)

Edit
This is the type I correctly use bb-4t7d-01 and the price is very depending I believe.
Last edited by Brandon92 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirkS

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Quality of the Dupont / jumper wires can also make a difference.
I have had problems with ones that have really thin pins, making them wobbly in almost any breadboard.

kings

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Dirk,

At first, I suspected the jumpers but later realized that the fit varied greatly from hole to hole across my board.

Can you recommend a good set of jumpers? Similar to breadboards, they all look about the same to me.

Brandon92

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 pm

kings wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 pm
Can you recommend a good set of jumpers? Similar to breadboards, they all look about the same to me.
If I want to make a reliable connection I use a solid copper core with a 0.2mm^2 that I cut on the correct length, for example this one. Before that I used the solid copper core in the utp cat5 cable, and that works also.

LTolledo

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 pm

During my first months with my first RPi3B kit, I bought a breadboard kit similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Paxcoo-Breadboar ... readboards

there were loose connections, and on other points, very tight holes making it hard to insert even 1/4W resistor leads.

then I bought ones from the local electronics shop. though a little bit more expensive, all insertion points/connections were ok.

when I disassembled the problematic breadboards, it seems that the metal contacts are stuck to the plastic casings, some were deformed, thus the loose and/or very tight fit.

I was able to repair most of those, and use the breadboards for LED-resistor array (for my LM3916 VU meter) and not use it for ICs and other active components

Nowadays I often use the breadboards bought from the local electronics shop....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those...
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Return to “General discussion”