ZoAd

Fried Raspberry

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and a Picamera NoIR for a computer vision project (mostly a software project, nothing connected to the Raspberry except the camera, nothing on the GPIOs that can cause a short circuit).
I was very happy with the result but after 4 days and after one reboot my Pi was fried (hope the camera is still OK but I can't test it at the moment) :
- No boot.
- Only the red power LED lit (tested several micro SD cards and alimentations).
- I measured 0.40V at the 3.3V pins but 5V at the 5V pins.

I was wondering if the load that I impose to the Pi (C++ multithreaded image processing tasks that require between 95-100% CPU for seven hours a day) was the cause or if it was just bad luck with one defective Raspberry?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Fried Raspberry

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Your PI probably is NOT dead, no amount of processing power for however long will "fry" a PI, if it gets too hot it will simply work slower to stay cool, it will not damage itself.

what is far more probable is that you managed to scramble the contents of your SD-card. you MUST cleanly shut down your PI AND wait several seconds after that before removing power, to avoid that.

not measuring 3.3V on the 3V3 output is worrying, but possibly a result of measuring error, but note that shorting the 3V3 output will probably cause destruction of the PI. but lets not assume that this has happened.

try what happens to the temperature of the main chip if you turn it on, without and sd-card inserted, it should stay cold (as it does nothing), if it, or any part of the supply (parts near the micro-USB input) become hot, then you might have blown the PI up, note that the LAN chip works independently so may become warm, but not hot.

when measuring the voltages on the GPIO's, be very careful ! one slip with a probe, that shorts two pins together, may potentially damage the PI.
Always connect the black (negative) probe not to a GPIO pin, but to any metal of either the USB, ethernet or HDMI ports, as these are all connected to GND, and are a reliable and safe point to connect to GND.

To try to get back to a working system, I would recommend re-imaging the sd-card and writing a new copy of Raspbian to it using Etcher.

you may also read my boot problem sticky in the beginners (our double checking ) section, it gives you all the know information about boot problems.

good luck.. :D

ZoAd

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 pm

No as I said I tried several SD cards with new Raspbian and succefully boot an old Raspberry but not my Pi 3B+
For measuring voltage I always use a jumper wire(to avoid contact between pin) and the metal Sd card holder as ground.
When turn on, without and sd-card inserted nothing is hot, just warm near the micro usb and the LAN ship.

hippy

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Another 3B+ which appears to have mysteriously died though there's no sign those are related beyond being mysterious and unexplained, and the number would still appear to be minimal compared to the number sold.

Red power LED on but no 3V3 does seem to me to be a common theme with those Pi 3B+'s which no longer boot.

If it has failed then there may be nothing you can do to fix it. It would be worth contacting your retailer to see what "return, test, repair or replace" service or warranty they offer.

ZoAd

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Thank you for your answers, the retailer seem agree for a return and replace. I was asking my question to see if my use of the Raspberry for this project was ok because I don't want to try the same thing to fried another (new) Raspberry.

Return to “Troubleshooting”