Buzz2006

Where is my SD Card?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:04 pm

*Insert drawn-out exasperated breath here*

I have the worlds glitchiest SD cards ever. I have inserted ONE 16GB SanDisk and what do I see on my desktop? This:
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 13.02.07.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 13.02.07.png (47.47 KiB) Viewed 264 times
And then, when I open Disk Utility (I'm on Mac, btw...)
One of them has 200MB
and one of them has 70! Remember this is a 16GB memory card. I erased them. Exactly the same problem. There are no partitions that I know of. When i use the First Aid utility on them it says that there's nothing wrong. Please help!

achrn

Re: The hell is my SD Card?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking - you want help with your Mac?

I'd expect the boot partition to be about 40M, but 70M is not outrageous, and 200M would be fine on a 16G card, I think.

How did you intend to partition the card, and what did you use to do it?

pcmanbob

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm

If you are putting an SD card in to your Mac that has raspbian on it then what you are seeing is what I would expect.

There are two partitions on the SD card a fat one which is visable on your mac a Linux one which is not.

The fat one is the smaller of the two 40 to 70mb is probably about right the Linux partition is the larger of the two and will probably be the rest of the remaining space assuming that raspbian has been expanded to occupy all of the card.

So what exactly is the problem you are experiencing.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

HawaiianPi

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Buzz2006 wrote:
... There are no partitions that I know of.
Clearly there are. When you install Raspbian, NOOBS, Retropie, etc. the card is split into multiple partitions, most of which cannot be read by a Windows or Mac OS PC without special file system drivers (most of the card will be allocated to Linux partitions, although that doesn't happen with NOOBS until you install an OS).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

gkaiseril

Re: Where is my SD Card?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Buzz2006 wrote:
And then, when I open Disk Utility (I'm on Mac, btw...)
One of them has 200MB and one of them has 70! Remember this is a 16GB memory card. I erased them. Exactly the same problem. There are no partitions that I know of. When i use the First Aid utility on them it says that there's nothing wrong. Please help!
Erasing the contents of directories does not remove the partitions on which those directories reside, so the partitions will remain. You will need to do a low level formatting of the SD card to remove the partitions. After this you most likely will not be able to access the SD card (block device) until you create at least one partition using fdisk or you can resize and delete the partitions.

Return to “General discussion”