NinjaSauce

Broadcast video signal using a 4G USB modem

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:46 am

Hey,

Im new to this and I have wanted to work on a project for a while now, but Im not sure where to start.
Here is what I need to do:
I need to Broadcast an analog video signal using a 4G LTE USB modem.
I cant use a traditional "broadcaster" because I need it to be as light as possible.

Could anybody point me in the right direction?
I will be starting from scratch, so what parts do I need?
I plan on using a GSM 4G LTE USB modem, but if anybody has a better suggestion, please let me know.
I apologize if this is a dumb request, but any help is greatly appreciated. I have wanted to get into Raspberry or Arduino for a long time, but I have so many projects that it hasnt been possible. I figured that this project might be easier using Raspberry, but if there is an easier solution using Arduino, I would be open to suggestions.

So please let me know where to start looking.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Re: Broadcast video signal using a 4G USB modem

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:34 pm

NinjaSauce wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:46 am
I need to Broadcast an analog video signal using a 4G LTE USB modem.
That is not possible for several reasons.

LTE modems transmit digital signals to and from the internet.

RPis have no analogue inputs. You require additional analogue to digital converter(s) to get analogue audio or video unto a RPi.

An Arduino is way too slow to handle video.

You will probably need compression as standard definition video requires about 200 Mbit/s when digitised.

In most countries, "broadcasting" in the usual sense of the word is illegal unless licenced by a regulatory authority.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? What input signal? What quality. Send to where?

Heater

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm

NinjaSauce,

Your question makes no sense from any way I look at it.

Do you really have an analog video source? Not many people do now a days. Please describe.

There is no way you can "broadcast" over a cellular connection. What do you mean by "broadcast"?

There is no way an Arduino is going to do anything useful with a video signal.

What is this "broadcaster" method of which you speak.

SPAM suspected here.

ejolson

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Heater wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm
NinjaSauce,

Your question makes no sense from any way I look at it.

Do you really have an analog video source? Not many people do now a days. Please describe.

There is no way you can "broadcast" over a cellular connection. What do you mean by "broadcast"?

There is no way an Arduino is going to do anything useful with a video signal.

What is this "broadcaster" method of which you speak.

SPAM suspected here.
Analog video is the sort of thing that a church might have with feeds into the parish center, overflow seating, kitchen or office. The reason it would be analog is two-fold: one is that the system would be old and second that it is relatively cheap to run coaxial cable around a church to provide a few video feeds at various locations.

Increasingly, independent event videographers provide live coverage of weddings, high-school football, basketball and whatever. Most video camcorders still provide an analog output and analog switchers are salvage items that can be picked up cheaply. High schools are particularly likely to be using old kit.

If the goal is a standard-definition live video podcast that streams over the Internet and Roku-like devices, then doing the mixing with whatever analog equipment is already in place or cheaply available makes sense. For a Raspberry Pi to work as an uplink device, you will need a Linux-compatible USB analog video capture dongle as well as the already mentioned 4G modem. For reliability, I would suggest a reasonable heat sink on the Pi so it doesn't throttle unexpectedly during a podcast and a second 4G modem that uses a different mobile network.

The software side of things may be a bit tricky: With luck the USB dongle will output a reasonably compressed video stream that you can simply upload to the cloud and do the transcoding there. Alternatively, the Pi can be used to transcode the incoming video stream to a suitable streaming format and directly upload the packets to the content distribution network. The Roku developers documentation used to give some tips about live streaming that were fairly useful. At that time there was no open source software that was preconfigured for live streaming, especially in such a way that provides multiple encodings at different bitrates for automatic bandwidth tuning for the downstream devices. I don't know what the situation is these days.
Last edited by ejolson on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:18 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:53 pm

If the goal is a standard-definition live video podcast that streams over the Internet and Roku-like devices, then doing the mixing with whatever analog equipment is already in place or cheaply available makes sense. For a Raspberry Pi to work as an uplink device, you will need a Linux-compatible USB analog video capture dongle as well as the already mentioned 4G modem. For reliability, I would suggest a reasonable heat sink on the Pi so it doesn't throttle unexpectedly during a podcast and a second 4G modem that uses a different mobile network.

The software side of things may be a bit tricky: With luck the USB dongle will output a reasonably compressed video stream that you can simply upload to the cloud and do the transcoding there. Alternatively, the Pi can be used to transcode the incoming video stream to a suitable streaming format and directly upload the packets to the content distribution network. The Roku developers documentation used to give some tips about live streaming that were fairly useful. At that time there was no open source software that was preconfigured for live streaming, especially in such a way that provides multiple bitrate encodings for automatic bandwidth tuning for the downstream devices. I don't know what the situation is these days.
Unfortunately, judging by the OP's post, I suspect all that is way above his head. :(

ejolson

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:40 am

drgeoff wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:18 pm
Unfortunately, judging by the OP's post, I suspect all that is way above his head. :(
It's impossible to tell how difficult something is until it done for the first time. Then, once the solution is known, everything is much easier. It would be nice if someone who has used the Pi for live podcasting--even if only audio--would reply with some detailed information.

Return to “Other projects”