tinpanalley

Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 am

Surely there must be other options other than Retropie, aren't there? I have no problem with it, I'm just curious to see the options. Where can I look for a listing of other types of emulation engines like that?

Secondly, sort of related, is there any chance I could run an emulation tool like RetroPie and also run Kodi and just have a boot selection menu come up when I launch the RPi?

Thanks for any help!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 am

tinpanalley wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 am
Surely there must be other options other than Retropie, aren't there? I have no problem with it, I'm just curious to see the options. Where can I look for a listing of other types of emulation engines like that?

Secondly, sort of related, is there any chance I could run an emulation tool like RetroPie and also run Kodi and just have a boot selection menu come up when I launch the RPi?

Thanks for any help!

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357

Kodi or Retropie are not actual Operating Systems par se...

Retropie is a collection of software pre-installed on Raspbian Stretch Lite.

Kodi is installable software, though some OSes use it a a Desktop Environment.
Adieu

tinpanalley

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thanks for the reply and the link. But, I'm a bit confused with the OS info, I didn't call it them OSes?
Ok, so RetroPie has essentially become popular because of its offering several different emulators in one place. I figured one could run some very rudimentary OS with links to each emulator instead, but I was specifically asking if there were other types of all-in-ones like RetroPie. I'll explore that link, not sure what it is exactly with specific relation to my question.
And so, do you know if the possibility of a menu that lets me start up and select something like EmulationStation or my LibreElec Kodi install is possible?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:38 pm

tinpanalley wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thanks for the reply and the link. But, I'm a bit confused with the OS info, I didn't call it them OSes?
Ok, so RetroPie has essentially become popular because of its offering several different emulators in one place. I figured one could run some very rudimentary OS with links to each emulator instead, but I was specifically asking if there were other types of all-in-ones like RetroPie. I'll explore that link, not sure what it is exactly with specific relation to my question.
And so, do you know if the possibility of a menu that lets me start up and select something like EmulationStation or my LibreElec Kodi install is possible?

Actually Retropie has an option to boot into Kodi or Emulation software:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... op-or-kodi
Adieu

tinpanalley

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Hmm.. but I would want that to come up every time I reboot, this looks like something you determine once when setting up the Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm

tinpanalley wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Hmm.. but I would want that to come up every time I reboot, this looks like something you determine once when setting up the Pi.

Try PiNN it is a Operating System installer / Chooser and has a few extras:

viewtopic.php?t=142574
Adieu

Return to “Gaming”