arif_sohaib

cheap screen that won't block gpio pins

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Is there any cheap display, even 5 inches or 3.5 will be fine, that don't block gpio ports. The ones I saw on adafruit and amazon cover up everything and basically make the pi unusable.
I know I could use a breakout board but I am trying to keep costs down. I would prefer something less than $50.

gordon77

Re: cheap screen that won't block gpio pins

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:37 pm

There are 2 versions of the adaftuit

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2441

One uses the 26 way Connector so the rest may be available to use on a pi3?. The other has a 40 way but has the first 26 pins of gpio available on another connector, you can use the 'unused' ones.

Worth checking out.
Last edited by gordon77 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:59 pm

That's an odd way of defining "unusable." I have a couple of Pis with 3.5" displays that mount on the GPIO header and I have no trouble using those Pis in the way I intend.

I should point out that the 3.5" screen that I use have "pass through" on the GPIO pins that the display doesn't use. One of them even has header pins installed (mind you, I consider that to be a bad design for my uses, and for that--and other reasons--it is not my preferred display).

Still...there is a solution to your "problem". In the 5" screen space, you can get displays that work from the HDMI connector, leaving the GPIO header free for any other use you may have for it.

Imperf3kt

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:09 am

Get a Waveshare 5" HDMI screen or clone. There is also a touchscreen version which blocks most of the GPIO header, but only uses 5 GPIO - just use jumper wires ro attach those and the rest are free to use however you want. If jumper wires are not an option, the Touch controller PCB has a built in GPIO header breakout.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

Return to “Beginners”