Shadow_7

jackdbus crashing regularly in raspbian after update.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:16 am

On a RPi 3B+, running raspbian. It was fine in april, but I updated it and now the audio system (pulse over jack) crashes about every 30 minutes of use. It'll idle fine, only after 30-ish minutes of use. Various things seem to affect that time, most of it being network related. The mikrotik 750 hex v3 in router mode and it crashes in about 15 minutes. In bridge mode it crashes in about 30 minutes. Playing audio from two laptops and about 20-ish minutes. It's kind of bizarre, and I have to "kill -9 $(pgrep jackdbus)" to recover it without a reboot. The usual jack_control methods fail until that step after the failure.

What are the usable options for images for the 3B+? I tried the ubuntu-mate 16.04 one and it wont even boot. I'd normally go the arch route when faced with issues like this, but I didn't see an option for that from the download page. It's an RPi 3B+ with the official touchscreen via canokit + screen + case. I added the heat syncs now, maybe that'll help (doubt it). It wasn't an issue before I updated. I'm annoyed enough at this point to try another distro. Probably not enough for debian armel/armhf like I was on the RPi B (v1, non-plus). P.S. the cover for the touchscreen case doesn't fit the 3B+, but it fits fine without the cover. And the premium case from the canokit doesn't fit either. But I got those shortly after release.

Shadow_7

Re: jackdbus crashing regularly in raspbian after update.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:48 am

I was hopeful at least. It seems that the heat syncs did help. But it died at about 50 minutes this time around. One 36 min video and about 14 min into another.

Shadow_7

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:41 am

Or not. I added a fan blowing on it, and it died at about 37 minutes. A fresh install or a new distro seems in order at the moment.

Shadow_7

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:14 am

And of course raspbian does NOT include a libdbus-dev so I can compile it myself from source. Perhaps it is time for debian armhf.

rpdom

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Which libdbus have you got installed? I think the current package for Raspbian is libdbus-1-3 and the dev version is libdbus-1-dev which is available in Raspbian.

Shadow_7

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:28 pm

So there is. After going old school with apt-file update and installing dselect with dselect update. When searching via dpkg-query --load-avail -l anyway. Odd that it wasn't showing up before. I still find raspbian way more annoying than debian. Just the kernel with nfs IN the kernel so there's 2x+ more ps outputs for stuff I don't even use. Anyways, to the source route.

And from source now, although no clear way to output versioning to tell if I'm using my source version or the distro provided one. More than an hour till the end of this podcast, so I guess if it doesn't fail then I'm likely on my source version. If it does fail, it could be either I guess. Oddly the update that made it annoying didn't update jackdbus.

Shadow_7

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 pm

It failed of course. But it took an hour-ish, and 45-ish on subsequent fails. So it's "better". In for an ounce in for pound, so I've also compiled pulseaudio from source, so we'll see how this works. It's frustrating in that it previously worked, until an update. And jackdbus or pulseaudio were not part of that update.

Shadow_7

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:59 am

I gave up on that install. With the source compile it was better, but still consistently crashed hourly (better than bi-hourly). So onto a fresh raspbian lite install beefed up to roughly the same purpose. Less the printer stuff for now. Hopefully it's without the issue. I did do the rpi-update process so if it is fixed, it could be that per say and not the install. A few rough edges on raspbian, like no HID I/O in X, which turned out that xserver-xorg-input-kbd was NOT installed, even though xserver-xorg-input-all IS installed. Sitting at about a 2.6G install at the moment, but I did do a build-essential and devscripts installation. Not that I've needed it much (yet). But the next stage if this continues is a kernel compile. Hopefully it's cured for now. At 10 minutes into a 2.5 hour podcast so we'll "see".

Shadow_7

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm

It still crashes on the raspbian lite install. My recovery / setup process is this:

$ pulseaudio --kill; sleep 1; kill -9 $(pgrep jack_mixer); sleep 1; kill -9 $(pgrep jackdbus);
$ ./myjackdbus.sh ; sleep 1; jack_control start; sleep 1; pulseaudio --kill; sleep 1; ./myjackdbus.sh ;
$ jack_mixer & sleep 1; wmctrl -r jack_mixer -e 0,0,0,141,300; pulseaudio --kill; sleep 1; pulseaudio --start; sleep 1; qjackctl; speaker-test -c 2 -l 1
$ sudo renice -n -15 $(pgrep jackdbus); sudo renice -n -10 $(pgrep X); sudo renice -n -10 $(pgrep jack_mixer); sudo renice -n -5 $(pgrep pulseaudio)

The renice seems to make it take longer to failure. The jack_mixer is there to lower the volume since the hardware has no software mixer options. I could sub in a calf-plugin of the eq variety for the same functionality, but it still fails on that too. Sometimes the failure is bad enough that I have to reboot to regain the audio interface, but most times the above works. Just 4 one liners, to kill off old fails, start jackdbus, start extras and do routing, then renice. It's very annoying, but at least I've gotten past failing every 15 minutes now.

Shadow_7

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:45 pm

FILE: myjackdbus.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# jack_control start
jack_control dps device hw:1
jack_control ds alsa
jack_control eps driver alsa
jack_control eps temporary false
jack_control eps realtime false
jack_control dps rate 48000
jack_control dps nperiods 2
jack_control dps period 1024

exit 0
For full disclosure

Shadow_7

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:05 am

With the current setup, it is consistently dying at 1 hour of use. Almost exactly 1 hour. Plus 2-ish minutes but that's probably how long it takes me to reload the client to start using audio again. It'll work several hours if it's not using more than an hour of audio. With two audio clients (music videos + podcast), it dies much faster. But with just one audio client, almost exactly 1 hour.

Shadow_7

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:55 pm

A kernel update, and rpi-update updated the firmware since I last checked. And it is still crashing on the regular at about an hour. With efforts towards debian armhf to see if that fails as well, but stuck at the fbturbo driver to get X working atm. When I initially tried debian it appears that it was booting the .52 kernel where .62-v7+ is the current and /lib/modules/ kernel. I'll get it going eventually, or try noobs which seems to have significantly less issues than raspbian by other thread titles. In either case, the issue persists after a fresh install, but that's the one being converted to debian atm. I have verified that my current raspbian is running the expected kernel. And the issue still persists.

Shadow_7

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Some progress... Sort of...

Jackdbus is still the thing that annoys me, and otherwise crashes. BUT... It turns out that playing media with MPV did NOT crash the pulse over jack over network setup after an hour plus. SO... I've setup things where snd-aloop and pulse on the client is the audio system. And another user on the client uses alsaloop to route the loopback audio to pulse over the network. So while "FIREFOX" (iceweasel) is the antagonist that is causing the death of jackdbus. With the arbitrator in place (alsa loopback device), I've exceeded the 1 hour crash point by a lot and still going strong with this setup.

alsaloop -C hw:Loopback,1,0 -P default 2>&1 > /dev/null

Otherwise regular stock pulse on the client user, with pavucontrol to select the loopback device. A bit of trial and error as it shows 3 devices, all labeled the same.

sudo modprobe snd-aloop
pulseaudio --start
For the non-networked audio client user. Definitely not a normal setup, but functional.

Shadow_7

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 am

Still stable with the arbitrator (snd-aloop / alsaloop), even with multiple sources hitting the RPi at the same time. On the plus side I can push the RPi 3B+ to 24 bit and 192kHz. Which adjusts the alsaloop a bit. One quirk is having to stop / start pulseaudio (client side) to another user if I switch users (I could set that up for networked over 127.0.0.1 to not have to do that). I tend to have multiple users so I just launch the browser as another user, instead of constantly logging out and in of various accounts in the browser. One quirk is that I need to stop/start the alsaloop if I go a duration (5-ish seconds) of having no audio sources. Slightly less annoying than doing the conglomerate multi-step process of restarting jackdbus on the pi though.

alsaloop -C hw:Loopback,1,0 -f S24_LE -c 2 -r 192000 -P default 2>&1 > /dev/null

Return to “Troubleshooting”