bensimmo

Re: Definition of ironic

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:18 pm

http://thetrademarkninja.com/2016/10/03 ... rademarks/

The part in there (but today it may have changed)
Is PIXEL was given to Google for the operating system class9. It runs on the Pixel version of that current Android. That would be the blocker, not the 'phone or device name'.

And was unfortunate as it made life easy compared the convoluted Pi Desktop full name we should be using and I quite liked it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:33 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:18 pm
http://thetrademarkninja.com/2016/10/03 ... rademarks/

The part in there (but today it may have changed)
Is PIXEL was given to Google for the operating system class9. It runs on the Pixel version of that current Android. That would be the blocker, not the 'phone or device name'.

And was unfortunate as it made life easy compared the convoluted Pi Desktop full name we should be using and I quite liked it.
At least no-one is going to come along and claim "Raspberry Pi Desktop", or whatever we call it now, is already trademarked...

Or are they?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

droleary

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:55 pm

Heater wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 am
That the the thing. Trade marks are a lot to do with product confusion.
Yep. If there was no marketplace confusion, Google was mostly in the wrong for going after the RPF. So long as nobody is confused into buying or seeking support for a Android Pie device from this site, the RPF would be in the wrong to go after Google. No sense stooping to Google's trademark (ha!) level of evil.

mikerr

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:35 pm

It's only Pie ... imagine you could get much more upset if Android R ended up called Raspberry Pie !
(now unlikely as they've used up the Pie name)
jamesh wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 am
So, we started with Raspberry Pi, there have been Orange Pi, Apple Pi, NanoPi, BananaPi, and now Android Pie.
Context.

Yes, most of that list are clearly piggybacking on the Pi name as they are competing SBCs
except of course Android which isn't a SBC or even a computer of any sort.

[edit] I was going to say google don't make SBC's at all, but remembered they have just announced this:
https://blog.hackster.io/announcing-the ... f510231591
pity that's not rpi based.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:34 pm

mikerr wrote:
[edit] I was going to say google don't make SBC's at all, but remembered they have just announced this:
The image towards the bottom of that page makes one wonder is that header block is compatible with the Pi 40-pin GPIO block....

drgeoff

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:15 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:34 pm
mikerr wrote:
The image towards the bottom of that page makes one wonder is that header block is compatible with the Pi 40-pin GPIO block....
Probably depends on your definition of "compatible".

The mounting holes in the PCB do look compatible with those on RPis. :)

weebsha

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:06 am

Why do they always use "food names" for naming a new tech/improved tech?! What is happening in the world!!!If only I don't use Google for my square space websites I won't be able to know this food names for techies -_-

hippy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

weebsha wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:06 am
Why do they always use "food names" for naming a new tech/improved tech?!
Some of the early and home computers were given names of food; Apple, Apricot, Tangerine. I guess most, including the Foundation, are paying homage to that and keeping that 'tradition' alive.

From fairly early on Google described Android versions using names of sweets, snacks or food; cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwich, jelly bean, kitkat, lollipop, marshmallow, nougat, oreo. Pie is just the latest in that pattern.

Return to “Off topic discussion”