pontdad73

slimmed raspberry pie 3b usb issue

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:36 am

Hello all,
I am in the process of making a custom retropie handheld and have ran into an issue with my pie 3b. I recently (and carefully) removed and desolderd the usb ports from my pie. After a small hiccup of having to redo the image for retropie everything works as normal. What my plan was is too use jumper wires to physically move the usb ports elsware in the case. I couldn't fit an usb extension in, for the ports being right against the a,b,x,y buttons pcb. So I thought to remove them and physically move them. After much research into the dangers I attempted the move. Everything powers up, no power issues the usb keyboard works fine when plugged in. The problem I'm having is I was using a 128gb compact thumb drive and symlink to store my ps1 games but now the raspberry pie does not pick it up. I have tried reformatting the stick and several other things. I am looking for any ideas on the subject cause I'm out. I don't think its a wireing issue but I can double check.

pcmanbob

Re: slimmed raspberry pie 3b usb issue

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:47 am

Hi.

Did the USb drive work with the pi before you removed the USB ports ?

If so then it has to be a problem caused by moving the USB ports , either bad wiring/solder joints, may be some interference being introduced on the wiring between the port and the PCB or a low voltage at the ports cause by the wiring used.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

pontdad73

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi thanks for the reply I didn't have much time to check before leaving for work but I did meter the port and I have 5v .08 amp I'm checking about the requirements of my usb now. It did work before I took them off so it could be the wireing. But I used 28 guage wire for the jumpers. I'll check the other points you brought up also. Thanks again for the feedback.

Imperf3kt

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:41 pm

28 gauge is fine for the data lines, but for the power lines you'll want at least 24 gauge
User experiencing technical difficulties.

pontdad73

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 am

I think they are 28 gauge anyway but I'll wrangle up some bigger wire and see if that fixes it. By any chance anyone know what a usb stick needs power wise that's different from a usb keyboard?

pcmanbob

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:49 am

when I plug one of my flash drives in to my windows 7 pc the USB hub reports the mass storage device requires 500mA, were as my gaming back lit keyboard only requires 350mA, I guess an unlit keyboard would required even less.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

Imperf3kt

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Generally a standard keyboard uses up to 100mA.
I personally suggest using this website:
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/v ... lator.html

Remember to double your wire length to account for the return length as well.
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

drgeoff

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:53 pm

28 gauge wire will be fine for at least 250 mm length.

pontdad73

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 am

Thanks all for your time haven't had time to fool with it since the other day but if I figure anything out ill be sure to post my findings here for others to use.

pontdad73

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 am

Hey all I got the usb port working correctly. I desolderd the wires trimmed off the ends and cleaned the board. Then reattached the usb drive upon booting up and using the lsusb from the command and bam there was my drive. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”