SudoLudo20

Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Plex Issue

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:35 pm

I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ and followed this guide (https://thepi.io/how-to-set-up-a-raspbe ... ex-server/) on how to turn it into a Plex server but it's performance is awful. I have it connected via Ethernet and a 1 terabyte hard drive holding all of my movies and shows. However it buffers a lot and sometimes drops the stream all together when I'm accessing it via the Plex app on my Roku in my basement, and on my desktop, which it located right next to my raspberry pi. When I tried it on my parent's Roku TV it streamed fine. I tried it again streaming The Last Jedi on my Roku TV and on the Roku device in the basement. The one streaming on the TV ran without a hitch using at most 23% CPU usage but on the Roku device in the basement it was constantly buffering and used 99% CPU usage. I don't know why it runs perfectly fine on the Roku TV but not on the Roku device or my desktop.

What did I do wrong? Is it the files themselves? The network? is there something else I need to do to the raspberry pi? I included a picture of the Media Info of The Last Jedi file I tried to stream.
Attachments
plex.PNG
plex.PNG (20.97 KiB) Viewed 3151 times

Roken

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Plex Issue

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:39 am

I note that the Pi is connected via ethernet, but what about the other devices?
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

SudoLudo20

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:24 am

Roken wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:39 am
I note that the Pi is connected via ethernet, but what about the other devices?
My desktop is connected via Ethernet, the Roku TV is also connected via Ethernet but the other Roku device is connected via WIFI.

gkreidl

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:08 am

Presumably your Plex server tries to transcode the video which will not work on a RPi.

If it needs 23% of CPU just to stream a video, it must be terrible code.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

SudoLudo20

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:08 am
Presumably your Plex server tries to transcode the video which will not work on a RPi.

If it needs 23% of CPU just to stream a video, it must be terrible code.
That makes sense but why does it works so well on the Roku TV? I streamed The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War, Creed, and the first 2 episodes of Luke Cage season 2 on it without a problem and they were all 1080p quality videos.

SudoLudo20

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:09 am

I think I figured it out. I noticed all of the video files I've played have video codec H264 and the ones that have been troublesome are in HEVC. I believe the Roku in my basement can't handle codecs other than H264 while the Roku TV has appeared to be able to handle everything. So it's been buffering on the Roku device in the basement because it was busy trans-coding the video codec which the Raspberry Pi can't handle due to its processor not being powerful enough. I tried Season 2 of Luke Cage, my copy of Justice League War, and Batman The Dark Knight Returns Part Two. All were in H264. Then I tried True Detective Season 1 Episode 1, some Young Justice episodes, and episodes of My Hero Academia and Darling in the FranXX, which all were anything but H264.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am

SudoLudo20 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:09 am
I think I figured it out. I noticed all of the video files I've played have video codec H264 and the ones that have been troublesome are in HEVC. I believe the Roku in my basement can't handle codecs other than H264 while the Roku TV has appeared to be able to handle everything. So it's been buffering on the Roku device in the basement because it was busy trans-coding the video codec which the Raspberry Pi can't handle due to its processor not being powerful enough. I tried Season 2 of Luke Cage, my copy of Justice League War, and Batman The Dark Knight Returns Part Two. All were in H264. Then I tried True Detective Season 1 Episode 1, some Young Justice episodes, and episodes of My Hero Academia and Darling in the FranXX, which all were anything but H264.

FYI there are several Roku Boxes with differing hardware and capabilities (even versions with the same SoC as the RPi 1 & Zero):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
Adieu

Return to “Media centres”