aqirbis

WiFI on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 am

How to configure wifi on Raspberry Pi 3 on Plan 9 ?

Bakul Shah

Re: WiFI on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am

See https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected] ... 37143.html for some help. It has one mistake: ether1=type=4330 should go in cmdline.txt, not config.txt on the dos partition. See cmdline-wifi.txt for an example.

Latest disk image can be downloaded from https://9p.io/sources/contrib/miller/. You may wish to subscribe to the 9fans mailing list if you need more expert help.

aqirbis

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:54 pm

Bakul Shah wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am
See https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected] ... 37143.html for some help. It has one mistake: ether1=type=4330 should go in cmdline.txt, not config.txt on the dos partition. See cmdline-wifi.txt for an example.

Latest disk image can be downloaded from https://9p.io/sources/contrib/miller/. You may wish to subscribe to the 9fans mailing list if you need more expert help.
Thanks for the help ! I did not expect anyone to help. And yes, I will subscribe to the newsletter. And again thanks for the link to the new image.
There is still a question, if you do not mind: does the update with replica now work?

Bakul Shah

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:21 pm

aqirbis wrote:
There is still a question, if you do not mind: does the update with replica now work?
I am afraid not. The sources.cs.bell-labs.com (from where the updates were being pulled) is gone. Note that there are hardly any changes to the base sources any more. If you just want to play with plan9 this is more than good enough.

If you want something that is being maintained and updated, you can use the 9front fork of plan9. AFAIK there is nothing similar to 9pi.img for the pi. I don't know the steps to switch from a working 9pi system to 9front but I believe this should be possible.

aqirbis

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Bakul Shah wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:21 pm
aqirbis wrote:

If you want something that is being maintained and updated, you can use the 9front fork of plan9. AFAIK there is nothing similar to 9pi.img for the pi. I don't know the steps to switch from a working 9pi system to 9front but I believe this should be possible.
I heard about this fork. The only thing for which I'm interested in updates is Python 2.5.1 (I could not build it from the sources that I extracted from contrib and plan9front) or ObjectIcon (I simply do not get it from the source code at the linking stage, although it fully adapted to Plan9) :(
What would you recommend in this case, as an experienced user?

Bakul Shah

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 am

aqirbis wrote:
I heard about this fork. The only thing for which I'm interested in updates is Python 2.5.1 (I could not build it from the sources that I extracted from contrib and plan9front) or ObjectIcon (I simply do not get it from the source code at the linking stage, although it fully adapted to Plan9) :(
What would you recommend in this case, as an experienced user?
You can cross compile python on a 9front system for objtype=arm and copy to 9pi (along with /sys/lib/python). That should work. But your best bet is to ask on 9fans or 9front mailing list.

ObjectIcon compiles and passes all the tests on 9front/x86. On arm it fails to compile for what seems to be a compiler bug. ObjectIcon doesn't seem to be set up for cross-compile or else it can be tried on x86 plan9 or 9front.

aqirbis

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Bakul Shah wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 am
aqirbis wrote:
You can cross compile python on a 9front system for objtype=arm and copy to 9pi (along with /sys/lib/python). That should work. But your best bet is to ask on 9fans or 9front mailing list.

ObjectIcon compiles and passes all the tests on 9front/x86. On arm it fails to compile for what seems to be a compiler bug. ObjectIcon doesn't seem to be set up for cross-compile or else it can be tried on x86 plan9 or 9front.
Could not perform cross-compilation. I even pulled the source from Plan9front and tried to compile it on the device - the attempt ended in failure. Cross-compilation also on Plan9front did not help - could not pull out the executable file - it's just not copied ...
In general, maybe you know what else there is from programming languages ​​other than C under Plan 9? So far I have not managed to get only Hugs, but it does not support the entire library (((

Bakul Shah

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:10 am

aqirbis wrote:
Could not perform cross-compilation. I even pulled the source from Plan9front and tried to compile it on the device - the attempt ended in failure. Cross-compilation also on Plan9front did not help - could not pull out the executable file - it's just not copied ...
I was able to cross-compile with no problems -- note that this must be done on a 9front system, not 9pi on a Raspi. IIRC, all I did was this:

Code: Select all

cd /
. /sys/lib/rootstub # this is needed only for the first time
cd /sys/src
objtype=arm
mk libs
cd /sys/src/cmd/python
mk install 
Then manually copy /arm/bin/python binary and /sys/lib/python to 9pi to corresponding places.
In general, maybe you know what else there is from programming languages ​​other than C under Plan 9? So far I have not managed to get only Hugs, but it does not support the entire library (((
Nils Holm's s9 Scheme interpreter works fine on plan9. Go should work but cross compiling can be a bit painful. This may help: https://mike-bland.com/2015/06/08/getti ... lan-9.html

On the other hand you can cross-compile on any other Go machine and generate plan9/raspi binaries provided the code is portable and doesn't use linuxisms (unfortunately more and more common now). So for example, you should be able to cross-compile Rob Pike's Ivy program (an interpreter for an APL like language).

aqirbis

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Bakul Shah wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:10 am
aqirbis wrote:
Nils Holm's s9 Scheme interpreter works fine on plan9. Go should work but cross compiling can be a bit painful. This may help: https://mike-bland.com/2015/06/08/getti ... lan-9.html
I performed a cross-compilation of the latest release of Go. Everything went well, but I used a different instruction, but I still helped the link that you left. In fact, I had to complete all the instructions that I read. A cross-compilation Go is generally problem-free.

Return to “Plan 9”