lstenberg

Lazarus

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:55 am

Hi forum,
If You should be interested in a quite capable digital circuit simulator running on your Rasberry Pi (3b), You may find an executable for Rasbian-stretch at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/elogsim/

eLogSim has been compiled on a Rasberry Pi 3b using Lazarus version 1.8.4 (itself compiled from Lazarus SRC using FPC 3.0.4.).

Have fun 🤗

lstenberg

Re: Lazarus

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi again,
A new version 1.0.0 is out, now also supporting simulation of 3-state busses, digital systems with ROM & SRAM. Check it out at https://sourceforge.net/projects/elogsim/

Have fun :D

Thaddy

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 am

I don't see the sourcecode? Without it I won't test it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:26 am

Thaddy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 am
I don't see the sourcecode? Without it I won't test it.
Why? Do you simply only use software where sourcecode is available as a matter on principle, or do you actually look at the source code for some reason?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Heater

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 pm

jamesh,
Why? Do you simply only use software where sourcecode is available as a matter on principle, or do you actually look at the source code for some reason?
I can't answer for Thaddy but...

In cases like this we are being asked to download and install executables from somebody we have never heard of, that we can have no trust in and are hosted on a click bait website. Without the source we have no idea what malware lies within.

Isn't this something the security conscious computer literates have been warning us not to do for decades now?

Whilst there can be a matter of principle in preferring open source solutions there are very practical matters of security. Not to mention maintainability, longevity, etc, but that is another story.

Where is the incentive to invest time and effort beta testing closed source software?

Return to “Other programming languages”