JMpi82

Ssh with GUI

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:05 am

I am running Xquartz on a MacBook pro. I can connect to the Raspberry Pi Zero W through Terminal using
ssh -Y [email protected],<ip.address>

This works fine. I can then type "idle3" and the python editor comes up in an Xwindow.

However, using a MacBook air with the same version of Xquartz I can connect to the Pi using the same terminal command, but I receive an error when I try to access idl3. is says something about tkinter and no display $DISPLAY.

I have checked the settings and cannot figure out why I can connect on one laptop but no the other.

Thanks for the help.

I have another thread in the beginners where I ask a few other basic questions, but it's not getting too many views. Check it out if you can. I'd like to learn a few of the basics.

scruss

Re: Ssh with GUI

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm

What's the difference in the output from

Code: Select all

echo $DISPLAY
on both macs? This would be from the Terminal once you'd issued the ssh command.

There may also be some sharing settings in your mac preferences or in XQuartz.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

JMpi82

Re: Ssh with GUI

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 pm

scruss wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm
What's the difference in the output from

Code: Select all

echo $DISPLAY
on both macs? This would be from the Terminal once you'd issued the ssh command.

There may also be some sharing settings in your mac preferences or in XQuartz.
Connecting via ssh on both machines (one at a time) and then the pi typing "echo $DISPLAY" results in the following:

Macbook (the one working) - localhost:11.0
Macbook Air (not working) - localhost:10.0

Return to “Troubleshooting”