raspi_noob5

Connect USB device via GPIO pins?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Hey gang, long-time lurker, first-time poster here:

I have a USB device I want to connect to my pi, but for aesthetic reasons don't want the USB dongle sticking out the side of pi but instead on top. One obvious option would be to connect the USB device with a USB - to - USB extender cable, but I was wondering, can I connect the device to the pi via the GPIO pins? Would a USB to TTL cable do the trick? What don't I know here? How hard would it be to do so?

Thanks,
Raspi_noob5

klricks

Re: Connect USB device via GPIO pins?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 am

raspi_noob5 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm
Hey gang, long-time lurker, first-time poster here:

I have a USB device I want to connect to my pi, but for aesthetic reasons don't want the USB dongle sticking out the side of pi but instead on top. One obvious option would be to connect the USB device with a USB - to - USB extender cable, but I was wondering, can I connect the device to the pi via the GPIO pins? Would a USB to TTL cable do the trick? What don't I know here? How hard would it be to do so?

Thanks,
Raspi_noob5
No......
While technically possible, it would be far from feasible. Such a project would take considerable knowledge and programming ability just to get the interface working on GPIO. Then a driver would have to be developed to get the OS to recognize and use the device.

A TTL to USB device is designed to be plugged into another computer for the specific purpose of providing a serial port interface. It is not a general purpose USB device interface.

You might look for a right angle USB adapter or cable.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

rpdom

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:04 am

If you are really keen, and good at soldering/desoldering, you could remove one of the USB connector pairs and wire the device in to the holes.

You could break your Pi if you get it wrong.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 am

rpdom wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:04 am
If you are really keen, and good at soldering/desoldering, you could remove one of the USB connector pairs and wire the device in to the holes.

You could break your Pi if you get it wrong.
No need to remove the connector. Solder wires to the underside of the board.

raspi_noob5

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks all!

Return to “Beginners”