ctigs

Pi Zero W not detecting usb devices

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I have a brand new fresh from the baggie Raspberry pi zero w.

It boots! (unlike the zero I got with it).

Using a DVI monitor with an HDMI to DVI cable. Rainbow screen appears, then initializing noobs, then the noobs menu. YAY!

But no matter what or how I plug into the USB port (I know, not the power port, I know the difference), the system will not initialize or detect the device.

I have 2 different OTG adapters. Both of the adapters work with my phone and tablet.

I have a 4 port usb powered hub. I have a USB keyboard with a built in hub. I have a USB keyboard without a built in hub. I have 2 different usb corded mice, and one wireless usb mouse.

I have tried every conceivable method of connecting these things to my pi zero w, and none of them work with the keyboard, the mouse, or any combination. Using just a keyboard, just a mouse, mouse and keyboard via the keyboard's hub, mouse and keyboard via the usb hub, the most I get is the usb powered hub will provide the power light saying it's got power.

so I've tried a different SD card, freshly imaged with noobs, and there is no way to interact with noobs.

anyone got any ideas on this one?

zhpixel517

Re: Pi Zero W not detecting usb devices

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Is there anyway you can access the terminal from where you're at? If yes, you can type in a command to see if the Pi actually sees the connected device.

ctigs

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Not while I'm at work, but since this is the noobs installer screen is the terminal even active? (I'm assuming you mean the console serial port).

zhpixel517

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Well, if you haven't installed Rasbian yet onto the Raspberry Pi, then the terminal most likely is not active yet. When you have the chance, see if there is anyway to activate the terminal from the Noobs screen.

Imperf3kt

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Do you have a power source connected to your powered USB hub?
Try unplugging it.
I once had a hub that backfed the Pi and caused all sorts of weird nonsense while powered, including not recognising USB devices.
Stephen Hawking, rest in peace.
8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

Return to “Troubleshooting”