JonnyAlpha
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Testing GPIO pins

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi,

We have a problem with one of our Raspberry Pi 3's.

We are using the CamJamEduKit3 Robotics kit and have been writing some code from the associated worksheets to run our motors from the motor driver board.
One one of the Pi's as soon as you switch the battery pack on that powers the motors (via the driver board) one of the motors starts to spin.

I have emailed Mike (CamJam) who has given me the BCM pin numbers for the board BCM 7 and 8 (Motor B), BCM 9 and 10 (Motor A)

I have just had a poke around with a multimeter and BCM 8 and 10 and outputting 2.23 and 3.28v respectively without any code running. Is this a faulty board?

Regards
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

joan

Re: Testing GPIO pins

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Possibly.

Remove all connections from the expansion header and run wiringPi's pintest utility or pigpio's gpiotest utility.

For gpiotest see https://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Testing

pcmanbob

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:26 am

Not forgetting gpio 8 & 10 are part of the SPI interface, might be worth check you don't have it enabled as that could cause strange results on your gpio.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

JonnyAlpha

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks Joan,

Installed wiring pi and looks like its showing a fault with all of the GPIO pins :-(
Back to Pi Hut for a replacement hopefully.
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

Return to “Advanced users”