Johnny445

Would really appreciate help with a complicated SSH solution

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 am

So, I'm trying to set up an SSH connection with a Pi. The thing is the Pi isn't mine, and must stay at the university it is in, and I want to SSH it to my personal laptop. So what happens is I bring my laptop to the uni, and want to SSH there. I also want the setup to be headless if possible; I can access a keyboard, mouse, monitor for the Pi separately but would rather do everything on my laptop with minimal stuff plugged into the Pi. So, I went in the other day, connected the Pi with an ethernet cable to an ethernet port in the wall of the lab, and connected my laptop to the university WiFi. Now, from what I understand, in order to SSH, the pi and my laptop would have to be on the same network. They weren't, the Pi is connected to a network specific to the lab through the ethernet cable, while my laptop is connected to the overall Uni's wifi. Is there a workaround to this, or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a USB to ethernet adapter for my laptop (have a mac :/) so I can plug both the Pi and my laptop to the ethernet ports in the lab's wall and do the SSH that way? Can you link some reading material on this? A step by step tutorial would be real nice too if one exists for this specific situation. I'm getting really confused navigating this stuff, and since I don't have the Pi by my side it's hard to try things. Thank you for your time.

topguy

Re: Would really appreciate help with a complicated SSH solution

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 am

It is also a question you could ask the IT department on the Uni about.
The two mavhines does not need to be on the same network if the two networks are able to talk to each other. If you know the IP of the Pi, and can ping it from your MAC then ssh probably works too. But this depends on the networksecurity policies of your Uni.

tpyo kingg

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am

Johnny445 wrote:
Is there a workaround to this, or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a USB to ethernet adapter for my laptop (have a mac :/) so I can plug both the Pi and my laptop to the ethernet ports in the lab's wall and do the SSH that way? Can you link some reading material on this?
Putting the both on the same network (be it LAN or other network) would be the easy way. So that means buying or borrowing a USB-to-Ethernet adapter for your Mac. There are at least two work-arounds that don't need such an adapter but they would not only be more work but probably be of interest to the network administrators even if they are friendly and not just resellers of a vendor that need not be named here. If they are helpful perhaps they would have advice, too, but if they are just resellers ...

Anyway, without knowing more about your network topology or the helpfulness of the network administrators, it is hard to guess. If your network has IPv4 or IPv6 or both, if your network has NAT, and so on are all useful for you to know for the moment. But going too far into networking will be a distraction from your work on the RPi.

Johnny445

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 am

tpyo kingg wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am
Johnny445 wrote:
Is there a workaround to this, or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a USB to ethernet adapter for my laptop (have a mac :/) so I can plug both the Pi and my laptop to the ethernet ports in the lab's wall and do the SSH that way? Can you link some reading material on this?
Putting the both on the same network (be it LAN or other network) would be the easy way. So that means buying or borrowing a USB-to-Ethernet adapter for your Mac. There are at least two work-arounds that don't need such an adapter but they would not only be more work but probably be of interest to the network administrators even if they are friendly and not just resellers of a vendor that need not be named here. If they are helpful perhaps they would have advice, too, but if they are just resellers ...

Anyway, without knowing more about your network topology or the helpfulness of the network administrators, it is hard to guess. If your network has IPv4 or IPv6 or both, if your network has NAT, and so on are all useful for you to know for the moment. But going too far into networking will be a distraction from your work on the RPi.
I have an old router laying around the house. It is an AT&T router and I used to use it when AT&T was my ISP, but now it's not. If I connected both the Pi and my Mac to the router through ethernet cable, would it work even if there is no internet through the router?

tpyo kingg

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:07 am

It's probably worth a try. If you connect both the RPi and the OS X machine via Ethernet cables to the old ATT router they should be able to talk with each other.

There might be another option. It has been ages since I've looked at OS X but if I recall correctly you can connect to wi-fi with the Macintosh and then connect the RPi to the Macintosh via the USB-to-Ethernet dongle and then turn on sharing of the Internet connection to the RPi via the Macintosh.

What kind of capabilities are you looking to have network-wise?

Johnny445

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 pm

tpyo kingg wrote:
It's probably worth a try. If you connect both the RPi and the OS X machine via Ethernet cables to the old ATT router they should be able to talk with each other.

There might be another option. It has been ages since I've looked at OS X but if I recall correctly you can connect to wi-fi with the Macintosh and then connect the RPi to the Macintosh via the USB-to-Ethernet dongle and then turn on sharing of the Internet connection to the RPi via the Macintosh.

I was looking to set up VNC viewing with my mac, and soon connecting a DAQCplate to the Pi, and then finally the plate will connect to an experimental device to collect some data. Thanks for the advice btw

Johnny445

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 pm

tpyo kingg wrote:

Well, I tried something even simpler and it worked. I just connected the raspberry pi straight to my mac with an ethernet cable and got VNC viewer running. Everything works perfectly! Now I only have to use one cable also :) Thanks for the help. Now I just have to figure out how to connect the DAQC plate to the pi and get that running

Return to “Beginners”