yorimoto

Unable to Connect/Boot Raspberry Pi To Monitor

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello,

I am posting because I am having some trouble with connecting my Raspberry Pi to a monitor via HDMI. (Please forgive me as I am very new to this process).

After an initial attempt with a borrowed bootable microSD card, everything went smoothly. However, as a second attempt, I had accidentally inserted a blank microSD card without NOOBS installed, and thus once trying to connect to a monitor I ran into an issue.

After running into this issue (not yet realizing that it may have been because NOOBS was not yet installed onto the microSD card) I began to troubleshoot. The first thing I did was power off the Raspberry Pi, eject the blank microSD card, and insert the previous bootable microSD card.

After doing this I still was getting no HDMI signal on the monitor. I have tried multiple HDMI cables, and have also tried installing NOOBS on the previously blank microSD card and still get no HDMI signal.

When I plug the Raspberry Pi in via Micro USB, the "PWR" light turns on and is red. I have taken a look at https://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting ... put_at_all, however, I have no idea how to interpret any of these terms.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated, thank you and warmest regards,

-Y

drgeoff

Re: Unable to Connect/Boot Raspberry Pi To Monitor

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:31 pm

After the successful check with the borrowed card did you do a software shutdown before removing power? If not, you may have corrupted the file system on that borrowed card such that it will not boot anymore.

The most probable reason that the other card will not boot is that NOOBS has not been copied to it correctly, either because of user error or a hardware problem such as the card reader not supporting SDHC cards,

yorimoto

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:39 pm

drgeoff, Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to this. It really does help a great deal.

For the borrowed card, I was not able to even log into the account. Without being logged in, I am not sure how to do a software shutdown prior to removing the power. However, if you could point me out to a forum post regarding this I would greatly appreciate it!!

The card reader that I have does support SDHC so I don't think that it is hardware error in this regard.

When you say that NOOBS likely wasn't copied properly due to a user error, what exactly do you mean? When I attempted to copy NOOBS onto the microSD that I have, everything seemed to have gone smoothly (at least according to the tutorials that I watched), and upon checking the card again, all of the NOOBS files seem to be in there.

drgeoff

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 pm

1. Read the "not booting" sticky.

2. Common user errors are 1) copying the NOOBS files and folders to a folder on the card instead of the root. You should not see only a single folder at the top level of the card. 2) Using a 64 Gbyte or larger card and not changing it from exFAT to FAT32 before copying NOOBS to it.

yorimoto

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:49 am

dregeoff, Awesome! It turns out I did not format the blank SD card correctly. Thank you very much!!

Return to “Troubleshooting”