needlibrary

Power Cords Not Working

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:24 pm

We have 4 Raspberry Pi 3's that have hardly been used. 3 of the power cords do not work and one of the Pi's isn't working. We are a public library that wanted to do a Sonic Pi Workshop with children and we only have 1 Pi that will power up and work. How can we at least get the power cords replaced?

drgeoff

Re: Power Cords Not Working

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Perhaps what you are calling a "power cord" is actually the complete PSU.

The complete PSUs or USB to micro-USB cables are readily available for purchase. If you have reason to believe that yours should be replaced under warranty you should contact whoever supplied them.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 pm

needlibrary wrote: We have 4 Raspberry Pi 3's that have hardly been used. 3 of the power cords do not work and one of the Pi's isn't working. We are a public library that wanted to do a Sonic Pi Workshop with children and we only have 1 Pi that will power up and work. How can we at least get the power cords replaced?
Can you clarify what you mean by "power cords" ie. a "wall-wart" power supply with attached cable or just the connecting cable? We're they originally supplied as part of a "Pi kit"?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm

What are you using for power supplies (power cords)?

The Raspberry Pi3 computers require significantly more power than previous models, so the days of using just any old 5V charger and cord are gone. You need a good power supply or charger and high current USB cable rated for 2A or more (recommended is 5V @ 2.5A).

Another problem with using USB chargers that require a separate USB cable is that many micro USB cables aren't rated for much more than 500mA, which is not enough for a Pi3 computer. So you not only need a good charger or PSU, you also need a good, low resistance micro USB cable to deliver the power.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has their own branded power supply that output 5.1 volts at up to 2.5 amps that has a built-in power cord with 20 AWG wires (much fatter than most micro-USB cables).

Also, as a library, do you loan the Pi computers and power supplies out? If so, then it's possible someone has swapped your working units for their old broken one. :?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

crofter

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 pm

can you swap the outher sd cards to the working one if the allwork do the same to the pi board if sd card is corrputed pi will not work
please read fault finding information this will help

crofter

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm

In light of the various attempts at diagnosis, could specify where you are? There may be a knowledgeable Pi enthusiast near you that can and will act as a local "tech support" for your library. I know I would for any library near where I live...but I don't know where you're located.

needlibrary

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:23 pm

I am referring to the R 2 AC/DC adaptor Model APL-WA-050250A that came with our Pi's. The Pi's are only used in the library for library programs and are not loaned out to patrons. We wanted to do a Sonic Pi workshop, but the Pi's aren't working. This is disappointing, as they have only been used about 3 or 4 times. Shouldn't the cords work for more than just 3 or 4 occasions? The Pi's were purchased through Amazon. When the adaptor is plugged into the wall, the green light on the adaptor that should show that it is getting power, does not light up. The light on the Pi that shows the Pi is receiving electricity does not light up. Other electrical items plugged into the same outlet work fine. I am located in Needham, MA. Do I have to pay to replace cords that only worked 3 or 4 times? Amazon just ships things to people, they don't manufacture the items. Does Raspberry Pi back its products?

Thanks for the help.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:44 pm

needlibrary wrote:
I am referring to the R 2 AC/DC adaptor Model APL-WA-050250A that came with our Pi's. The Pi's are only used in the library for library programs and are not loaned out to patrons. We wanted to do a Sonic Pi workshop, but the Pi's aren't working. This is disappointing, as they have only been used about 3 or 4 times. Shouldn't the cords work for more than just 3 or 4 occasions? The Pi's were purchased through Amazon. When the adaptor is plugged into the wall, the green light on the adaptor that should show that it is getting power, does not light up. The light on the Pi that shows the Pi is receiving electricity does not light up. Other electrical items plugged into the same outlet work fine. I am located in Needham, MA. Do I have to pay to replace cords that only worked 3 or 4 times? Amazon just ships things to people, they don't manufacture the items. Does Raspberry Pi back its products?

Thanks for the help.

The PSU is not the Official one, therefore how can RPT be responsible ??

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... er-supply/
Adieu

Paul Hutch

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 pm

needlibrary wrote:
<snip>
The Pi's were purchased through Amazon. When the adaptor is plugged into the wall, the green light on the adaptor that should show that it is getting power, does not light up.
<snip>
Definitely appears to be dead power supplies.

Check the Amazon listing for the bundle you bought to see if it had a warranty. If it is still under warranty then Amazon will make sure the vendor honors the warranty.

HawaiianPi

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 pm

As others have said, that is not the official Raspberry Pi Foundation power supply. It was made and sold by a third party. You would need to contact them, or the vendor you purchased it from for any warranty service.

Check your order info. If the order was sold by and shipped by Amazon, then contact them for assistance in getting hold of the manufacturer. If it was sold by someone else, then contact the seller trough Amazon support.

Amazon does have the official RPF power supply on their site, but it's actually cheaper to buy it from Newark/Element 14, even with shipping. I recently purchased two for $8.99/ea + $5.95 shipping. The same PSU listed on Amazon is around $18, so even with the shipping charge it was much cheaper at Newark/Element 14.

This is a link to LoveRPi on Amazon. Based on the part # you supplied, a quick google search indicated it was their product.
https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF ... asStoreID=

And here's the official PSU at Newark/Element 14 (click picture).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”