xFin

New Screen

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi!
I am looking into getting a touchscreen for my Pi 3 B+. Do you know where the best place would be to buy one? By the way, I live in the UK.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place as this is my first post)

Thanks,
xFin :D

topguy

Re: New Screen

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:09 pm

xFin

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Alot of these are third party. Do they work just as well as the official one? :?:

topguy

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Most of them work differently than the official screen. "Just as good" depends on what you are going to use it for. ( and what size you want )

I saw the official screen was sold out on PiHut so I dont know where to buy it atm.

DirkS

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm

topguy wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:51 pm
I saw the official screen was sold out on PiHut so I dont know where to buy it atm.
Pimoroni have some https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... with-frame

alphanumeric

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Keep in mind that the official screen uses the DSI ribbon cable connector. And as far as I know, its the only screen that does. JFYI. Anything else will be HDMI or GPIO.

Gavinmc42

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Eric Anholt has tweaked the DSI code and so it should be easier to make other DSI screens now.
But I don't know of any yet.

Does anyone else know of third party DSI screens?
Perhaps RPT are working on some?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

alphanumeric

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Talking about touch screens. What I'd like to see is built in multi touch support in the OS, namely Raspbian. As it stands now, unless things have changed, the official Pi foundation screen supports 10 point touch. But all you can use is single point touch, with no right click functionality or anything? And before anybody says it, yes I have seen the posts on how to enable it. I just think in this day and age, it should be there, built into the OS. Just one of my pet peeves, what can I say.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:52 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:45 pm
Eric Anholt has tweaked the DSI code and so it should be easier to make other DSI screens now.
But I don't know of any yet.

Does anyone else know of third party DSI screens?
Perhaps RPT are working on some?
When the idea of an official RPF screen was first talked about, Dr. Upton mentioned first doing a 7" screen, possibly followed by a 10" screen. Personally, I wish he would as I'd *love* a 10" RPF screen and I'd buy at least two as fast as I could afford them. However, that has never happened. He may be thinking of smaller than 7" now.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:58 am

alphanumeric wrote:
Talking about touch screens. What I'd like to see is built in multi touch support in the OS, namely Raspbian. As it stands now, unless things have changed, the official Pi foundation screen supports 10 point touch. But all you can use is single point touch, with no right click functionality or anything? And before anybody says it, yes I have seen the posts on how to enable it. I just think in this day and age, it should be there, built into the OS. Just one of my pet peeves, what can I say.
Better, I think as an optional module. I would expect that the overwhelming majority of Pis aren't connected to touch capable screens. I can say for myself that of the 5 Pis that I have that have touch capable screens, I very rarely use the feature on three of them and never on the other two. Only one of those 5 is in anything resembling constant use (it's my "alarm clock") and it qualifies as "very rarely used", i,e, only if I need to shut the Pi down and I don't have a system up to do so over an ssh connection. This is out of perhaps 30 Pis that I have. YMMV

alphanumeric

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:58 am
alphanumeric wrote:
Better, I think as an optional module. I would expect that the overwhelming majority of Pis aren't connected to touch capable screens. I can say for myself that of the 5 Pis that I have that have touch capable screens, I very rarely use the feature on three of them and never on the other two. Only one of those 5 is in anything resembling constant use (it's my "alarm clock") and it qualifies as "very rarely used", i,e, only if I need to shut the Pi down and I don't have a system up to do so over an ssh connection. This is out of perhaps 30 Pis that I have. YMMV
An optional module works for me, or would work if it existed. It just makes me wonder why you would release a product but not fully support all its features? They were bragging about the 10 point touch when it was released. But you can't actually use 10 point touch, or even two point touch?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 am

I think they were talking about the touch hardware, which supported multi-touch, doesn't automatically mean that there will be software supporting the hardware too. but yes having it will be *nice*. But even now, not many people are even using the touch functionality.

alphanumeric

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am

Sites like Adafruit seem to sell a lot of PiTFT displays, https://www.adafruit.com/?q=pitft IMHO somebody is using them. I want to use mine, and not have to plug a keyboard / mouse / touchpad in to do a few simple things like copy a file to from a thumb drive etc,
Media Centers, MP3 players, robots, etc?

alphanumeric

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 am

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to stir anything up etc. I just think its a shame this hardware feature isn't supported. I think you'll find that just about every other OS on the planet has some form of decent usable touch features. Like two finger right click etc. I'm more of a hardware guy, so I have no idea how hard this is to do? My hope is if its mentioned that some of us would like it, maybe somebody from the Pi Foundation will give it a go and try to implement it into Raspbian. ;) .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 pm

The Linux driver is here

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... i-ft5406.c

It seems to support getting multiple touches from the GPU (which is the actual connection to the screen), but I suspect it's what happens after that that needs work. I'm not expert on touchscreen stuff, so if anyone else has any idea how to support multi touch feel free to give me information, or supply a PR.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”