Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Multiple Frame buffer beta testers wanted

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pm
jamesh wrote: 4.14.79 Pi2/3 kernel here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1az7UR ... JDyTDFBDu7

Just building a Zero one, will post link here when done.

Edit: And here it is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1raO_X ... pw5cqs8ECR

I have not tested either of these, so good luck....

Now off to do a 4.19.1 version.
Did a brief test with kernel7 - 4.14.79 - on a RPi 3B+ --> looks good so far. Only weird thing is the power supply icon in the task bar (as reported earlier alreday).
Will test Zero version in the evening (as I don't have the miniHDMI cable with me)
Can you give me a quick precis of the power supply icon issue?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

schmerlo

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Did a brief test with kernel7 - 4.14.79 - on a RPi 3B+ --> looks good so far. Only weird thing is the power supply icon in the task bar (as reported earlier alreday).
Will test Zero version in the evening (as I don't have the miniHDMI cable with me)
No success on my Zero even with

Code: Select all

gpu_mem=256
max_framebuffers=1
Not sure if this is/was a kernel issue because it hangs if you replace the start_x and leave the kernel untouched.

jamesh

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:23 pm

schmerlo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 pm
No success on my Zero even with

Code: Select all

gpu_mem=256
max_framebuffers=1
Not sure if this is/was a kernel issue because it hangs if you replace the start_x and leave the kernel untouched.
Hmm. I pressume you are using the kernel.img linked above? Using a standard start.elf, this should still boot. When you then replace the start.elg with the multi frame buffer one, that is when it goes wrong?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

schmerlo

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm

jamesh wrote:

Hmm. I pressume you are using the kernel.img linked above? Using a standard start.elf, this should still boot. When you then replace the start.elg with the multi frame buffer one, that is when it goes wrong?
Yep exactly works fine if i use the original start_x.elf or specify start_x=0 in the config.txt (including network etc) and hangs with activity led lit when using the modified start_x.elf from the google drive.

jamesh

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:05 pm

schmerlo wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Yep exactly works fine if i use the original start_x.elf or specify start_x=0 in the config.txt (including network etc) and hangs with activity led lit when using the modified start_x.elf from the google drive.
OK, so some odd with the VC4 binary on the Zero. Not sure what that could be. Will try and find time to take a look tomorrow.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:42 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm
jamesh wrote: 4.14.79 Pi2/3 kernel here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1az7UR ... JDyTDFBDu7

Just building a Zero one, will post link here when done.

Edit: And here it is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1raO_X ... pw5cqs8ECR

I have not tested either of these, so good luck....

Now off to do a 4.19.1 version.
Can you give me a quick precis of the power supply icon issue?
same issue as here
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=222143&sid=b753808 ... 17d748868b
But this time on a 3B+ too

jamesh

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:41 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:05 pm
schmerlo wrote:
jamesh wrote:

OK, so some odd with the VC4 binary on the Zero. Not sure what that could be. Will try and find time to take a look tomorrow.
Just out of interest, why would you be trying multiple frame buffer code on a Zero? Are you using a DPI display?

schmerlo

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 am

jamesh wrote:
Just out of interest, why would you be trying multiple frame buffer code on a Zero? Are you using a DPI display?
We are preparing two student projects using a Texas Instruments DMD and a Rpi Zero. One idea is to use the setup to build a structured light 3d scanner the other would be a near uv exposer. We felt that it would be a bit easier to access the fb device instead of the dpi interface.

jamesh

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 am

schmerlo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 am
jamesh wrote:
We are preparing two student projects using a Texas Instruments DMD and a Rpi Zero. One idea is to use the setup to build a structured light 3d scanner the other would be a near uv exposer. We felt that it would be a bit easier to access the fb device instead of the dpi interface.
If you have a correctly set up DPI device then even with the standard firmware, you will get a framebuffer accessing that device. If you want HDMI AS WELL, then you can use this custom firmware and you will get two framebuffers.

Still not sure why the Zero firmware isn't working though.

schmerlo

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 am

jamesh wrote:

If you have a correctly set up DPI device then even with the standard firmware, you will get a framebuffer accessing that device. If you want HDMI AS WELL, then you can use this custom firmware and you will get two framebuffers.

Yep my plan b is to use omxvi to display images directly to the dpi interface and plan c is to connect via ssh to the zero and use the "primary" fb to display the images. So its more a "nice to have" but we will get it to work without it if we have to ;)

jamesh

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 am

schmerlo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 am
jamesh wrote:

Yep my plan b is to use omxvi to display images directly to the dpi interface and plan c is to connect via ssh to the zero and use the "primary" fb to display the images. So its more a "nice to have" but we will get it to work without it if we have to ;)
Not familar with omxvi, Google doesnt find anything, so cannot comment.

If you set up the DPI display correctly, you will get a /dev/fb0, and you can use something like fbi to display images really easily. Can be done via SSH.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:48 am

I do not really intend to use dual frame buffer on a Zero; just the DPI is fine for me.
Anyhow, would like to understand why it's not working on the Zero (at least so far).

jamesh

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:48 am

I do not really intend to use dual frame buffer on a Zero; just the DPI is fine for me.
Anyhow, would like to understand why it's not working on the Zero (at least so far).
OK, I have a Zero booting OK here, required some more files from the original build to be copied to the boot folder. However, not sure which ones since I copied the whole folder. Since Zero's are a minor use case at this stage (since no DSI connector), I'll not look any further for the moment, since I know a proper release will work OK.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:03 pm

jamesh wrote:
OK, I have a Zero booting OK here, required some more files from the original build to be copied to the boot folder. However, not sure which ones since I copied the whole folder. Since Zero's are a minor use case at this stage (since no DSI connector), I'll not look any further for the moment, since I know a proper release will work OK.
+1

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:28 pm

I thought I'd better ask before trying the latest Raspbian release: Did any multi frame buffer stuff make it in there?

If not, I'd prefer to stay with what I have (although I know some things I would like to test with VLC ..)

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 pm

I'd suggest installing the new Raspbian stuff with sudo apt update; sudo apt -y dist-upgrade then revert to 4.14.79 or 4.19.1 with sudo rpi-update 2267b32 or sudo rpi-update c91b784. Then re-install James' kernel and bootcode.

That gets you the best of both worlds.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:55 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 pm
I'd suggest installing the new Raspbian stuff with sudo apt update; sudo apt -y dist-upgrade then revert to 4.14.79 or 4.19.1 with sudo rpi-update 2267b32 or sudo rpi-update c91b784. Then re-install James' kernel and bootcode.

That gets you the best of both worlds.
Did as suggested. Thanks!
Now I want to know how to judge if VLC player really runs HW-accelerated. Opened a video for playback and moved the window 'accidentally' to the second display (frame buffer).
This is what I got to see when stretched across the full desktop (video source file is FHD only, so will have to test with a higher resolution too)
IMG_0696.jpg
VLC player plays on both frame buffers
IMG_0696.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
detail.jpg
detail.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
As OMXplayer is unable to do this (as discussed in this thread already) I want to understand why VLC player can do (and if this is really using the GPU)

edit: 4k video seams not supported, right?

6by9

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:55 pm
Did as suggested. Thanks!
Now I want to know how to judge if VLC player really runs HW-accelerated. Opened a video for playback and moved the window 'accidentally' to the second display (frame buffer).
This is what I got to see when stretched across the full desktop (video source file is FHD only, so will have to test with a higher resolution too)
IMG_0696.jpg
detail.jpg
Just look at the CPU load. It should be down around 15%.
VLC is blitting into the frame buffer at the end, so I see no reason why it wouldn't split across two screens.
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:As OMXplayer is unable to do this (as discussed in this thread already) I want to understand why VLC player can do (and if this is really using the GPU)
omxplayer is rendering a single layer direct into the video scaler. You can set that up as two display regions to two different displays, but omxplayer isn't set up to do that (it's a pretty niche use case)
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:edit: 4k video seams not supported, right?
No, never has been, never will be on the current codec hardware.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:44 am

@6by9: Thanks for your explanation!

So, did some playback with VLC and figured out that as soon as you toggle to full screen mode the video will always be shown on the primary display (fb0).
Changing the settings in TOOLS->OPTIONS->VIDEO->FULLSCREEN VIDEO DEVICE doesn't show any effect (options which I see here are ':0.0-32' and ':0.0-40')

_ThaNerd_

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:59 pm

For the Pi Zero, are there any 9"+ screens that are compatible? One would require touchscreen capabilities. I am asking because I can't find any with GPIO and the Pi Zero has no DSI...

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 am

_ThaNerd_ wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:59 pm
For the Pi Zero, are there any 9"+ screens that are compatible? One would require touchscreen capabilities. I am asking because I can't find any with GPIO and the Pi Zero has no DSI...
Official DSI display is 7in size with PCAP, resolution is 800x480.

You're looking for display in 9in range? There are tons of them http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php? ... ategory=90

Maybe you should specify more precisely what you're looking for (i.e. aspect ratio, resolution, etc).

The Pi0 only offers you HDMI and DPI interface (with 24-bit DPI all GPIO being used). That's why you will have to use i.e. some standard AD-board (HDMI to LVDS converter) for the display connected to HDMI and a custom solution (either using DPI directly or bridging it to something else) for the display connected to DPI interface.

_ThaNerd_

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 pm

I have a 7 inch HDMI screen and a 7 inch official pi DSI screen. I did all the steps and got fb0 and fb1 to show up when typing ls /dev/fb*
But now I only get an image on my HDMI and nothing on my DSI (before I used to have the oposite).

How can I get both screen to show desktop (not duplicate but stretch the desktop)?

When I change start_x=1 to start_x=0 it reverts it back to showing image only on my DSI but now there is only /dev/fb0.

jamesh

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

_ThaNerd_ wrote:
I have a 7 inch HDMI screen and a 7 inch official pi DSI screen. I did all the steps and got fb0 and fb1 to show up when typing ls /dev/fb*
But now I only get an image on my HDMI and nothing on my DSI (before I used to have the oposite).

How can I get both screen to show desktop (not duplicate but stretch the desktop)?

When I change start_x=1 to start_x=0 it reverts it back to showing image only on my DSI but now there is only /dev/fb0.
start_x determine whether to use start_x.elf or start.elf. I thin I have only suppliued start_x.elf with multi FB supprt, so moving to start,elf will mean back to normal behviour.

As for desktop over multiple displays, go back to the start of this thread where the process is explained.

_ThaNerd_

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 pm

I tried but can't get the dual screen to work. I followed the instructions, I even tried enabling vc4-kms-v3d from raspi-config but I can only move the screen from HDMI to DSI and vise versa but I can't have them both working at the same time.
jamesh wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm
_ThaNerd_ wrote:

start_x determine whether to use start_x.elf or start.elf. I thin I have only suppliued start_x.elf with multi FB supprt, so moving to start,elf will mean back to normal behviour.

As for desktop over multiple displays, go back to the start of this thread where the process is explained.

jamesh

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:06 am

Don't enable the KMS driver, that is not compatible.

Not sure what else it might be though.

Return to “General discussion”