salvaliebana

(help) switch from stable to custom kernel on raspbian (2g/2g and 3g/1g) for wine testing

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi, Id like to make a raspbian image that can switch from stable kernel to custom. the problem is that the custom kernel appear to not working well, even when it works on a raspbian image that have that kernel.

I did the following steps:

1)copy kernel with the name kernel3g1g.img and set to boot from that kernel on config.txt with 256 of gpu ram split (because this custom kernel works only with this configuration or above than 256 mb)
2) copy the modules from the image where i get this kernel (and works in that image just fine) and Id put them with the original kernel folder names on /lib/modules

raspbian keeps not booting, the initial "rainbow" display test shows and nothing more. What thing I missing on this task?

My purpose it's made a raspbian image than can run wine and make it works with native arm ejecutables. A important approach, taking on mind that i have several games recompiled for arm that I've tested and it could appear more software recompiled for windows arm in the near future. Wine only works on 3g/1g kernel, and the custom kernel has 2g/2g. Wine doesn't works on the custom kernel and will never work. Don't know how could work a 2g/2g compiled wine because in the winehq forum they say that is imposible to run wine on that kernel configuration. only exagear with a emulation approach can do that.

I need both kernels because in that way I could use one for wine and the other for desktop (because of performance and ram efficiency).

The Traveler

Re: (help) switch from stable to custom kernel on raspbian (2g/2g and 3g/1g) for wine testing

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:20 pm

You might see if this is applicable:

https://github.com/procount/pinn/wiki/H ... using-PINN

Cheers.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

salvaliebana

Re: (help) switch from stable to custom kernel on raspbian (2g/2g and 3g/1g) for wine testing

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Maybe that is the only option. the problem it's that solution will be a huge image with two different raspbian os and kenerls. I am trying to use a same image of raspbian with two kernels and switching theme with a script i will make on the desktop when both kernels prove to work with the same image of raspbian. thanks anyway.

The Traveler

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:53 pm

I am trying to use a same image of raspbian with two kernels and switching theme with a script
The kernel loads itself into memory first on booting, then other code loads into what is called "user space" memory afterwards. Drivers and applications can be unloaded after booting, but not the kernel.

You can however create a single file system, mount it and symlink link to it. That way you could have one copy of your directory tree available to 2 different kernels. But you'd still have reboot to change kernels. I would consider this method time consuming and error prone when compared to have 2 full images on the sd card.

Cheers.
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

salvaliebana

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Yes, the script that i have in mind have that porpose. It switch kernels on config.txt and reboot.

😊 thanks!!

salvaliebana

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:18 pm

The Traveler wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:53 pm
You can however create a single file system, mount it and symlink link to it. That way you could have one copy of your directory tree available to 2 different kernels. But you'd still have reboot to change kernels. I would consider this method time consuming and error prone when compared to have 2 full images on the sd card.
Could yo be more specific on the steps to do that? or an tutorial of how to do that?

salvaliebana

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am

now it works great. sorry for my mistake, I copied the wrong kernel... now I have both kernel on one os for switch them.

The Traveler

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 am

Congratulations on your success!

Perhaps you would post your method so other can learn from it too. :)

Cheers.

salvaliebana

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 pm

just copy modules folder to lib/modules/, rename your new kernel and place it on /boot. on config.txt you should put kernel=thenameofyourkernel.img .if trhe pi doesnt boot, just delete that entry on config.txt to load default kernel.

Return to “Raspbian”