omarm

Ethernet doesn't work + random problems

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 am

I got my Wifi Dongle working. Yee ha!

I now try to get Ethernet cable working - just testing
Doesn't work at all. The connection definitely works.
What can I do to diagnose the problem?

The Wifi dongle works - but the icon at the top doesn't say anything about Wifi being active. It just mentions something about DHCP being connected or something.

Aside... I get problems booting up.
It will say things like disk errors or something.
How do I format full the SD card?
The SD card I have is a micro Sandisk one class 10

If I pull out the Wifi card, the whole thing just goes... I'm left with a Raspberry on the top left of the screen.
Isn't it hot pluggable?

wh7qq

Re: Ethernet doesn't work + random problems

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:02 am

You did not mention the model of RPi you are using, but all should boot with the ethernet turned on. With your other problems, it is suspicious that your uSD card is properly burned. Assuming that you are using Raspbian as your OS, first, check the sha256sum of your downloaded .zip file. If that checks out ok, the next step is to reburn the uSD card and if you are downloading to a Windows device, "Etcher" is the preferred software for burning it. Etcher will unzip the download, format the card properly and burn the distro. If you are not using Raspbian, Etcher is still a good way to burn the .iso or .zip file and you will still have to verify the download with the sha256sum. You should boot immediately to the ethernet connection. For future reference, take care to ALWAYS shutdown from the main menu or from the terminal window with

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -n
to prevent uSD card corruption.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

Return to “Beginners”