dbj

Pi Not Connecting to WiFi?

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Hello,
Have been following a guide to installing Raspian Lite and then a desktop, etc. I have installed Raspian Lite and my Pi boots up. I have it connected to my TV via HDMI. I can log in but when I try to install the desktop manager I get errors that it can't resolve the raspberrypi web site. I finally figured I wasn't connecting to the internet. I went into raspi-config and entered my wifi network information but still when I reboot I don't think it's connecting. Can anyone help? Trying to do this all from a command prompt. I also checked my SD card on another computer and the wpa-supplicant file is there with my network name and password. Also the country code. Thanks alot.

B.Goode

Re: Pi Not Connecting to WiFi?

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 pm

The Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation for connecting to WiFi from the command line is here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md

To allow others to cover the basics: what model of RPi? Does it have a built-in wi-fi interface, or have you added a usb dongle? If the latter, do you know it is supported by Raspbian?

For diagnostic purposes, even if it is not your target configuration, have you considered installing the full (desktop) version of Raspbian, thus avoiding the 'chicken and egg' conundrum while initially setting up the system?

dbj

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 pm
The Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation for connecting to WiFi from the command line is here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md

To allow others to cover the basics: what model of RPi? Does it have a built-in wi-fi interface, or have you added a usb dongle? If the latter, do you know it is supported by Raspbian?

For diagnostic purposes, even if it is not your target configuration, have you considered installing the full (desktop) version of Raspbian, thus avoiding the 'chicken and egg' conundrum while initially setting up the system?
Thanks much for the reply. I do have another SD card with a full install of Raspian Stretch. Everything works so far with it. My Pi is a 3 with built in WiFi. I also have added an IQAudio DAC. I have also used another SD card with Volumio on it and all works with it as well. I thought it would be a good project to try to put together Raspian and install a desktop, etc.

Doug

B.Goode

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 am

A lot of good information there if " I do have another SD card with a full install of Raspian Stretch. Everything works so far with it." means that you have a working Internet connection in that scenario. It means the WiFi interface on the board must be working, it is compatible with your Access Point, and you know the correct passphrase for the AP.

Have you considered taking a copy of /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf from the working system and using it on the Lite system?

Edit: to add, for clarification - from experience, I can say that adding a correctly configured /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to a Raspbian Stretch Lite default installation is the only thing that is needed to get such a system to associate with the nominated AP as Raspbian boots up. If your WiFi permits it, that should give your RPi outbound Internet access.

dbj

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks again for the reply. I will compare the wpa_supplicant.conf file from the working Raspian card with the one on the Raspian Lite card. As I said I have two other SD cards with different distributions on them and they connect to my WiFi just fine. I can't really do anything with the router as I live in a house with other people that connect to the same network to get internet. I kind of like the challenge of trying to get the Raspian Lite card to work. I can get the command prompt just fine but I want to install other things. It's a great feeling if I get this kind of thing figured out and working. :) I will post again if I make any progress.

dbj

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:01 am

Well, success. I compared the wpa_supplicant.conf file from the working Raspian install and the one that wouldn't connect to the internet. They looked the same to me. I replaced the one that wasn't working any way. I don't know if it made any difference at all but I changed the permissions on the wpa_supplicant folder and all files from root to anyone. For what ever reason when I booted my raspian lite card after that it worked. Connected to the internet just fine. Have installed a desktop, LXDE, and a couple programs with no problems. Even a web browser. Thanks again for your help. Appreciate it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”