PiProgrammer

Raspberry Pi Slowing Down WiFi

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello,
(Note: I'm new to this forum so if I'm not posting in the right place, let me know!)

I recently programmed my own project where a wii remote connects to my pi and then I can control various IoT gadgets (It's available on GitHub)
However, I noticed that whenever my Pi Zero W (with headless Stretch) is plugged in and connected to WiFi, the network slows to a crawl. When I unplug it it's fine. I recently changed the power adapter and now my WiFi fails to connect from my PC (unless I turn it off, of course.)
Is this a problem with my script? Is it a problem with my pi? Is it a problem with my power adapter?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

MaxTheSpy

Re: Raspberry Pi Slowing Down WiFi

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Im not sure. Ive got a RPi B3+ running plex media server and my wifi all throughout my house went from like 40mb/s to like 4kbs/s

Even when I stop the PMS the wifi is still sucky. Ill have to turn off the wifi and see if it is in fact causing the problemm.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

MaxTheSpy

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am

Sorry for the double post. But I have figured out my issue with my internet being supper laggy!

I bought my pi as a starter kit from the pi shop. I moved my pi back into my bedroom from the server room in my house. I used a radio to listen to noise in my house and it turns out that my power supply that shipped with my Pi was leaking RF noise something aweful. I moved the pi back to the bedroom and I went from 1.8kbp/s to 130 mb/s

Give it a try and let me know if its the same issue for you
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

PiProgrammer

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 pm

MaxTheSpy wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am
Sorry for the double post. But I have figured out my issue with my internet being supper laggy!

I bought my pi as a starter kit from the pi shop. I moved my pi back into my bedroom from the server room in my house. I used a radio to listen to noise in my house and it turns out that my power supply that shipped with my Pi was leaking RF noise something aweful. I moved the pi back to the bedroom and I went from 1.8kbp/s to 130 mb/s

Give it a try and let me know if its the same issue for you
Hello, @MaxTheSpy
Thanks for the reply. I tried two different chargers:
1: Some random charger, 2 USB ports. ( 5.1V/2.1A). This caused the internet to slow down significantly
2: An iPad charger, (5.1V/2.1A) This caused the internet to shut off completely (wifi not connecting to my laptop)

Hmm... so it might be a charger problem but I don't know how to fix it...

P.S. You have a server room in your house??

MaxTheSpy

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:35 pm

PiProgrammer wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 pm
P.S. You have a server room in your house??
Yeah, Im in the process of rebuilding. I was running a bunch of old 19 inch rack servers but I think Im going to build 1 beefy computer and water cool it and have a few raids attached to it. Less noise and less heat.

If you leave the door open to the server room it will heat the whole lower floor of the house.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Return to “Troubleshooting”