Twixx

Raspberry Pi 3B aarch64 boot from USB

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:19 am

Hello,
I am trying to boot a aarch64 system on my Raspberry Pi 3B from an USB drive.
Everything works well when I boot a 32 bits system or the 64 bits one from SD card.
The boot.txt file says

Code: Select all

# Set root partition to the second partition of boot device
part uuid ${devtype} ${devnum}:2 uuid

setenv bootargs console=ttyS1,115200 console=tty0 root=PARTUUID=${uuid} rw rootwait smsc95xx.macaddr="${usbethaddr}"
My root partition is the second partition of my boot device, I also tried to put the PARTUUID instead (and rebuilt boot.scr), I also modified my /etc/fstab as in my working 32 bits install.

The Pi seems to boot, but after the boot sequence, when the kernel is supposed to be loaded, all the USB devices shut down.
I don't have any screen, so I suppose it's related the USB drivers of the kernel which cannot handle USB devices (since everything works from SD card).

Do you have any idea?

Thank you in advance.

PS: I have asked on the Archlinux ARM Forum, I haven't got any response.

feelslikeautumn

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B aarch64 boot from USB

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 am

I have no experience of arch, but I know U-boot can be picky about USB drives. Some devices work, others don't.

Twixx

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B aarch64 boot from USB

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Thanks, I will try with some other USB drives.
EDIT:
It works with another USB stick! Do you know what I can try to do to make it works with my configuration?
I have a M.2 SSD in an external case plugged through an USB Hub. I tried just with the SSD, it doesn't work, so I suppose the problem is only related to U-boot and my SSD.

Return to “Arch”