elltg

Using the touchscreen like a touchpad

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:14 am

Is there any way to use the touchscreen of the display as a touch pad rather than a touch screen.

By that I mean as you move your finger across the screen it moves the cursor relative to its current position rather than to the position where you place your finger?

RichardS

Re: Using the touchscreen like a touchpad

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:02 am

Technically, in a Linux X-Windows environment, you are supposed to be able to use xinput set-mode on the touchscreen device to change it to relative mode, but I couldn't get it to work on most of the touchscreen drivers I have tried, and the one time it did sort of work the result was unusable because there was no corresponding multi-touch and muti-tap support to properly emulate left and right mouse clicks and window resize and drag operations.

So, I feel your pain. Microsoft Windows has the TouchMousePointer pointer program which does work pretty nicely in full screen mode on Windows tablets, but sadly, there doesn't seem to be any equivalent touchscreen driver in the Linux world.

I know a program like TouchMousePointer would work really well in Linux, if available, because a few years back I picked up one of those cheap Z3735 Atom based Windows tablets and found that the only way I could run Linux was in a Windows based Virtual Box VM because Canonical did such a totally crappy job of supporting Baytrail devices (no WiFi, no touchscreen, no chipset driver, no uefi boot, and kernel crashes every five minutes). The Microsoft pop up keyboard was still pretty crappy, but I found a nice folio case with a nice mini-netbook sized fully touch-type-able bluetooth keyboard.

No way to get the Windows based TouchMousePointer driver working with the ARM based Raspberry Pi though, so your best bet is to throw in the towel for now and look for a nice compact USB or bluetooth keyboard/touchpad combo.

If it can't happen any other way, I wonder if the LoveSummerTrue guy who did the TouchMousePointer program on Windows would do a Linux version if someone did a Kickstarter or GoFundMe to underwrite the development?

elltg

Re: Using the touchscreen like a touchpad

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

Thats interesting to hear about what you managed, shame.

I also used that software on a windows tablet, really turned it from un-usable to something worthwhile.
I really don't get why it isn't the standard. Touch on a fully fledged computer just doesn't work because our fingers are too large and lacking precision.

Thank you for sharing your findings.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”