UralyaEbah

Can't add roms to sd card because formatting will delete everything!

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:43 am

HI, So I am in no way shape or form smart enough for this thing. I bought one pre-loaded with roms. I would love to get gameboy advanced system onto the raspberry pi. However I can't put sd card into computer because it wants to format and will delete everything that came pre-loaded. What is my best option to load things onto the sd card?

ghans

Re: Can't add roms to sd card because formatting will delete everything!

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:10 am

Installing things on Linux should be done on a running system. Also, you should not use "installers" but package managment, which works like an app store and needs an internet connection. It knows whats best for your concrete subvariant of Linux (Raspbian based on Debian and uses APT as package manager).

The safest and cheapest way to manipulate your card outside of the Pi is to "burn" Ubuntu to an USB stick or DVD and boot your computer from it. Windows just doesn't want to acknowledge that Linux uses ext4 and won't read it.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Ger_Pa

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 am

UralyaEbah wrote:
I bought one pre-loaded with roms. I would love to get gameboy advanced system onto the raspberry pi. However I can't put sd card into computer because it wants to format and will delete everything that came pre-loaded. What is my best option to load things onto the sd card?
So you got a PI with pre-loaded roms? Most likely you are using retropie, recallbox, or even maybe Lakka. We need to know that first, because all of them load roms into the SD by different methods.

UralyaEbah

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Ger_Pa wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 am
UralyaEbah wrote:
I bought one pre-loaded with roms. I would love to get gameboy advanced system onto the raspberry pi. However I can't put sd card into computer because it wants to format and will delete everything that came pre-loaded. What is my best option to load things onto the sd card?
So you got a PI with pre-loaded roms? Most likely you are using retropie, recallbox, or even maybe Lakka. We need to know that first, because all of them load roms into the SD by different methods.
It runs retropie

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 am

Create an empty memory stick (USB thumb drive) formatted as FAT32 with a single directory in it called retropie. Stick it in a booted up PI running retropie, and wait a minute or so, then take it out (no need to eject the memory stick) and have a look at it on your PC/Mac.
The retropie directory should have been filled with directories named after the supported systems. copy your ROM's to the correct directorie(s), , eject it and and stick it back into the PI. Retropie will start to copy the files to its own copies of these directories, this can take several minutes, so wait until the ACT LED ceased blinking furiously, then reboot retropie, and your games will appear (as well as the emulated systems you have entered ROM's for).

Its also possible to enter the IP address of the PI into a browser on your PC, if both PC and PI are connected to the same network.
you can then file browse with your browser in the PI and upload files etc.

this is described here: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/

Return to “Gaming”